REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2662735 - 07/17/17 02:39 AM Re: For ifallalot [Re: Autoprax]
Surfdog Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Oceanside,CA
Originally Posted By: Autoprax
Originally Posted By: Surfdog
I'm sure I and many older guys here would've been diagnosed with some medical acronym or another while growing up. I'm almost positive I would've been labeled with ADHD or something similar. Drugging me up worse than the corner dope dealer.

Maybe if they medicated you, you wouldn't be the mess you are today? shrug

If I was medicated at an early age, I'd probably be living in a van down by the river, but mellow as all get out.

#2662737 - 07/17/17 03:03 AM Re: For ifallalot [Re: FecalFace]
Surfdog Offline
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: FecalFace
I love how this topic has split erBB right down the regular political, left / right divide, EXCEPT for people with personal experience with autism. Billy crossed the line.

But watching Caca, Charming, Surfdog and ifall a.k.a. "I just learned depression is not a fashion statement for lazy people", playing doctors, parents and scientist has been fascinating. toilet

Autism is a different animal completely. I think it's more environmental than anything with it's recent increase. Be it more toxic pollutants/pesticides, medications (I know those theories have been shut down recently due to more "sensitive analysis" of the symptoms). But I believe its more a genetic reaction to something in our environment in the womb.

Some just may be more genetically pre-disposed to getting it, like cancer.

it's definitely much more prevalent than 30-40+ years ago in all economic upbringings, whether being just more sensitively diagnosed or real physical increases due to environmental causes, or a bit of both.

I remember a couple kids that may have qualified as mildly autistic, by today's standards, growing up. But maybe one or 2 encountered my entire K-8 upbringing at best. Something is up that's not good or right in our environment.

>> brain/autism/searching-for-answers/autism-rise <<

>> the-real-reasons-autism-rates-are-up-in-the-u-s <<

#2662748 - 07/17/17 06:21 AM Re: For ifallalot [Re: FecalFace]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
I love how this topic has split erBB right down the regular political, left / right divide, EXCEPT for people with personal experience with autism. Billy crossed the line.

But watching Caca, Charming, Surfdog and ifall a.k.a. "I just learned depression is not a fashion statement for lazy people", playing doctors, parents and scientist has been fascinating. toilet

rolleyes

"some"

#2662762 - 07/17/17 09:29 AM Re: For ifallalot [Re: Surfdog]
heelnipstr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Southern Tip, Norcal
]

[quote=SurfdogAutism is a different animal completely. I think it's more environmental than anything with it's recent increase. Be it more toxic pollutants/pesticides, medications (I know those theories have been shut down recently due to more "sensitive analysis" of the symptoms). But I believe its more a genetic reaction to something in our environment in the womb.

it's definitely much more prevalent than 30-40+ years ago in all economic upbringings, whether being just more sensitively diagnosed or real physical increases due to environmental causes, or a bit of both.

I remember a couple kids that may have qualified as mildly autistic, by today's standards, growing up. But maybe one or 2 encountered my entire K-8 upbringing at best. Something is up that's not good or right in our environment.

>> the-real-reasons-autism-rates-are-up-in-the-u-s << [/quote

when we were growing-up all those kids who had significant learning differences were shuffled off to the 'retard' class or school. They were not allowed in the general population. They just warehoused them there and gave a minimal education.
The ones whose differences were easier to hide eg dyslexia, auditory and or visual processing disorder, non-verbal learning disorder, Aspergers were tracked through the 'dumb class' grouping, or were the weirdos or lazy or learned how to become socially invisible or the opposite, act out as clowns.

Edited by heelnipstr (07/17/17 09:31 AM)

#2662765 - 07/17/17 09:44 AM Re: For ifallalot [Re: FecalFace]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: the couch

Typical Faecal response where he just makes stuff up. sleeping

Playing parents?

Isn't that what you do? hah

Explain how you parent a child from 6000 miles away.

#2662779 - 07/17/17 10:28 AM Re: For ifallalot [Re: ifallalot]
MJOJunkie Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Socal Bight
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Originally Posted By: MJOJunkie
Since this thread has completely gone off the rails let's spice it up

https://youtu.be/VCIDYR_25zY
roflmao

For your viewing enjoyment

#2662798 - 07/17/17 10:50 AM Re: For ifallalot [Re: MJOJunkie]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Kento
Originally Posted By: CharmingSophisticate
Originally Posted By: CharmingSophisticate
Not really buying the autism obesity correlation.

There is a higher prevalence of autism in affluent areas. Is this because of respective age of parents as those better off tend to have kids later in life (when the sperm and eggs are old and decrepit) or is it because they have the resources to have their children assessed?

If you are looking for why it has more prevalence among the affluent, what is one thing nice areas have that the slummier ones don't?

Parks. Precisely, manicured, green parks that use pesticides that can cause all sorts of neurological issues.
I think the prevalence in this case is like ADD/ADHD, it's fashion.

Yeah, that's it of course.

The delayed speech, stimming, meltdowns, sensory issues, social difficulties, etc., that's all just fashion!
You just described a spoiled child.

You are completely and utterly clueless.

Actually, come to think of it, have you considered you might be on the spectrum yourself?

You are being too nice on him. He's a fooking vile asshole who probably shouldn't have been born.

Until you're living it, you don't really have a clue.

I really admire your patience with these kooks.

The audacity of two childless idiots, to tell somebody who deals with it on a daily basis that autism is a fashion statement, makes my head spin.

Vile, vile, vile.

This. Kento is a fooking saint.

#2662845 - 07/17/17 12:26 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: heelnipstr]
Surfdog Offline
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: heelnipstr
]

[quote=SurfdogAutism is a different animal completely. I think it's more environmental than anything with it's recent increase. Be it more toxic pollutants/pesticides, medications (I know those theories have been shut down recently due to more "sensitive analysis" of the symptoms). But I believe its more a genetic reaction to something in our environment in the womb.

when we were growing-up all those kids who had significant learning differences were shuffled off to the 'retard' class or school. They were not allowed in the general population. They just warehoused them there and gave a minimal education.
The ones whose differences were easier to hide eg dyslexia, auditory and or visual processing disorder, non-verbal learning disorder, Aspergers were tracked through the 'dumb class' grouping, or were the weirdos or lazy or learned how to become socially invisible or the opposite, act out as clowns.

Ya, but the shortbus looks no fuller today that it did back then? Are there just more of them now?

#2662853 - 07/17/17 12:49 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: Surfdog]
heelnipstr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Southern Tip, Norcal
[quote=heelnipstr]][quote=FecalFace]I love how this topic has split erBB right down the regular political, left / right divide, EXCEPT for people with personal experience with autism. Billy crossed the line.

Originally Posted By: SurfdogAutism is a different animal completely. I think it's more environmental than anything with it's recent increase. Be it more toxic pollutants/pesticides, medications (I know those theories have been shut down recently due to more "sensitive analysis" of the symptoms). But I believe its more a genetic reaction to something in our environment in the womb.

The ones whose differences were easier to hide eg dyslexia, auditory and or visual processing disorder, non-verbal learning disorder, Aspergers were tracked through the 'dumb class' grouping, or were the weirdos or lazy or learned how to become socially invisible or the opposite, act out as clowns. [/quote

Ya, but the shortbus looks no fuller today that it did back then? Are there just more of them now?

Don't know. Dealing with the issue is a lot more sophisticated now. Educators/parents are more aware of the issues. Remediation has been developed and accepted by educators. Plenty of science and clinical experience to back-up personal experiences. And socially a lot of people are not hiding their struggles. There are some great books written by severely autistic authors who express their experiences. And there are many highly successful and famous people are now talking about what they went through in school.
All of that is relatively new.
I don't know why it seems the way it seems.

#2662864 - 07/17/17 01:09 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: Surfdog]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
I'm sure I and many older guys here would've been diagnosed with some medical acronym or another while growing up. I'm almost positive I would've been labeled with ADHD or something similar. Drugging me up worse than the corner dope dealer.

If I was medicated at an early age, I'd probably be living in a van down by the river, but mellow as all get out.

Wrong medication.

#2662867 - 07/17/17 01:24 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: Surfdog]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
[quote=heelnipstr]][quote=FecalFace]I love how this topic has split erBB right down the regular political, left / right divide, EXCEPT for people with personal experience with autism. Billy crossed the line.

Originally Posted By: SurfdogAutism is a different animal completely. I think it's more environmental than anything with it's recent increase. Be it more toxic pollutants/pesticides, medications (I know those theories have been shut down recently due to more "sensitive analysis" of the symptoms). But I believe its more a genetic reaction to something in our environment in the womb.

The ones whose differences were easier to hide eg dyslexia, auditory and or visual processing disorder, non-verbal learning disorder, Aspergers were tracked through the 'dumb class' grouping, or were the weirdos or lazy or learned how to become socially invisible or the opposite, act out as clowns. [/quote

Thanks, Brukuns and Fecal. My wife is the one who is the saint, though, as she coordinates and shuttles the kids back and forth to their various programs. Even tougher now since its summer break and my daughter is out of school for another few weeks so my wife really gets no breaks except for parts of weekend and when I come home from work. Literally a full time job keeping the kids fed, stimulated (any activities or change require huge amounts of frontloading) and holding down the house.

I think there are environmental factors at work but also an increase in ability to accurately assess and diagnose autism. People are just more aware of it overall. The ideal time to start therapy is also when they are toddlers as their brains are actively developing and you can more easily guide and mold certain behavior over time not to mention work on speech issues early on. My daughter's teacher last year was ADA-trained and recognized the symptoms my daughter had. It was heart-crushing but at the same time reassuring that we finally had answers for her behavior and an overall path forward. Took a while for me to accept. It's been a huge learning process these last several months but we are seeing massive improvement. It seems crazy doing all the trips that we do but exposing our kids to new experiences, while challenging, pays huge dividends in their increase in confidences and ability to deal with change. The 4th of July trip to Point Reyes area was groundbreaking. My daughter actually pursued other kids at adjacent cabins to make friends and then initiated brief conversation with the janitor when he stopped by to visit: these seem like nothing to a lot of parents but this wasn't happening 6 months ago. Not even close. I'm really proud of how far she's come and I know it would have not have happened without the services she's received through her school district, which is why I am fiercely opposed to any proposed cuts to school services and funding for disabled children.

It's funny - my wife and I were watching Breakfast Club the other day. Funny with the different perspective we have now. Ally Sheedy's character was clearly on the ASD spectrum. Bender had a bit of Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD). computer

But seriously, looking back in history, there were likely a lot of people on the spectrum that were never diagnosed. Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein come to mind.

Russ Meyer

#2662871 - 07/17/17 01:42 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: MJOJunkie]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
In the right environment that can be a superpower.

K, you try NAC?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3698662/

#2662872 - 07/17/17 01:44 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: Kento]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

I'm glad your daughter is making so much progress Kento! She will adapt and live a long, happy and fullfilling life, not to mention the amount of joy she will keep bringing to you and your family.

#2662875 - 07/17/17 01:55 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: Autoprax]
Surfdog Offline
Tom Curren status

Wrong medication.

Whatever meds, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do the detailed, tedious design work I do now.

#2662891 - 07/17/17 02:46 PM Re: For ifallalot [Re: brukuns]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: brukuns
I'm glad your daughter is making so much progress Kento! She will adapt and live a long, happy and fullfilling life, not to mention the amount of joy she will keep bringing to you and your family.

Thanks! Much appreciated. She has a great heart overall and working with her speech has made a big difference in reducing the number and severity of her meltdowns. Some of them used to go on for several hours (not an exaggeration)and it would be so tough to pull her out of that frenzy let alone figure out what triggered them in the first place. Getting her take direction with a minimum of prompts is the current battle. We're doing everything we can to put her in a position to be successful in life. Getting services for respite care is what we (and especially my wife) sorely need. The last time my wife and I did something together without the kids was at a Valentines Day party.

Autoprax, thanks for the link. I am going to read up more on that. I have seen some studies about CBD oil having very positive effects but not sure about administering that to an almost 5-year old. One of the other parents of a child with similar issues is looking into it so will probably quiz her a bit on it after some time. I'd want to see a lot more studies on long-term effects before going down that route.

Russ Meyer

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32