REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2637479 - 05/11/17 07:38 PM Simple Travel Tips
VaB Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
So I just drove half flew across the country drove 1/2 back and flew the other half back to get my fiancees grandmother safely home.

Some tips I've learned from all my trips:

1. starbucks instant iced or regular coffee is awesome and a travel necessity for me; iced on surf trips, regular on road trips.
2. dryer sheets in your suitcase make even dirty clothes smell amazing. Add one or two to the car to make it smell just as nice. even after 12 hours with 2 adults and a granny.
3. soft bags beat rigid bags unless electronics are involved. (or wine)
4. A well packed duffle or carry on is all I need for 5 days or less ( excluding cold and gear).
5. a camera to document the mundane can make it fun.

What tips have you picked up over the years? The "dryer sheets" I pulled off the internet and it was gold.

#2637586 - 05/11/17 11:55 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: VaB]
grapedrink Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: A Beach
Starbucks: Marginal quality coffee but fookin hell is it convenient. Can be back on the freeway with a hot cup and empty bladder in 5-7 minutes. I like the blonde roast but I think the medium and dark is garbage. The Cold Brew is pretty good if they have it.

Carry-On duffles & soft bags: Agreed 100%. I searched long and wide until this one hit the shelves about a year or so ago: Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler

Absolute slam dunk of a bag. The big side pockets are clutch for non-clothing gear. The 45 L size is carry-on friendly, plus I have a larger one for all of all the gear I want to have in my car (hiking boots, flip flops, jackets, etc) without having gear strewn all over the place.

As far as trips requiring planes and travel, here are a few rules, that could apply to road trips as well:

1) No complaining. Or traveling with complainers.

2) If a day is dedicated to traveling between places, get as much distance as possible. I.e. don't spend a night in some crap town if it's only 2-4 or so more hours to the final destination.

3) If there is something cool to do somewhere and you are already there, try to do it. You may never return, and it will cost time and money if you do.

4) Visit new places/countries as much as possible. If I return to a country I've already been to with the intention of returning to a specific place I really dig, I try to spend the first part of the trip somewhere new to "scratch the itch", and spend the end of the trip at the place I've been to before.

5) If you aren't stocked on a place, leave. Even if you made reservations or prepaid. See point #3.

Golden Rules for surf trips: Never leave waves in search of other waves, and when there are waves, surf all day because that may be it!

beer

#2638450 - 05/13/17 08:26 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: VaB]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

you can get away with less clothes than you think, but always pack extra underwear

bring multiple fin keys, leash string, wax, leashes, and sunscreen packed in separate bags

pack in such a way that if one bag doesn't make it, you're not fkd - a little clothing in board
bag, some surf gear in clothing bag (to use with rental board)

print out airline policy documents and have them on hand to deal with counter bullshit

take pictures of your rental car before leaving the lot - inside and out

listen to turtle

#2638487 - 05/13/17 11:05 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: afoaf]
ElOgro Offline
Tom Curren status

Goddamn right listen to turtle.

You've got it about as easy as it gets as far as traveling gear when you come here.

Isabella looked at your board in the bedroom the other day and asked (by your name) when you were coming back?

Edited by ElOgro (05/13/17 11:12 PM)
Edit Reason: Wrong picture

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge

#2638546 - 05/14/17 10:38 AM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: VaB]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Bug spray?

#2639122 - 05/15/17 05:07 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: Autoprax]
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Starbucks, VIA, ready brew, seem to be the "go to" coffee products on the Appalachian, Continental Divide and Pacific Coast Trails .... for a quik-fix packet, early morning brew ~ and are in high regard for "trading on the trail for" .....

#2639441 - 05/16/17 09:55 AM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: PPK96754]
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status

Bring twice the $$$ and half the clothes.

#2639911 - 05/16/17 10:46 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: VaB]
sd_101 Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: around san diego
Board shorts in the carry on, for sure. You can stretch the number of days without your bags compared to regular clothes and easy to wash in the shower.

Love the duffle backpacks. I have the patagucci 60L. Fantastic way to do a duffle. My rollers are reserved for conferences and weddings only.

Less important with the prevalence of unlocked cell phones and cheap sims but if you're somewhere without one and the locale is not native English speaking, grab a business card to wherever you want to go or get back to. Including your hotel. Cab drivers will thank you.

#2641479 - 05/19/17 03:18 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: VaB]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Condoms?

#2646146 - 06/01/17 02:49 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: Autoprax]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
A simple headlamp.

#2651859 - 06/16/17 01:51 AM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: VaB]
SurfFuerte Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: hulling, mostly...
i have it easy, pupils dialate in dark, wear no underwear, could care less what phobias people have about B.O.

oh, and absolutely love to fart in tight crowded spaces, louder the better, cramped no more!

#2656114 - 06/27/17 11:09 PM Re: Simple Travel Tips [Re: VaB]
alicet Offline
Grom

I am surely going to utilize those travel tips VaB

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32