REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2626856 - 04/14/17 11:35 AM El Salvador
nightfly Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Anyone been recently? Any recommendations or things to be aware of? State Department page not particularly encouraging but don't know any surfers who've been and had issues so I take with grain of salt.

#2626884 - 04/14/17 01:19 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: nightfly
Anyone been recently? Any recommendations or things to be aware of? State Department page not particularly encouraging but don't know any surfers who've been and had issues so I take with grain of salt.

Last summer; been there the last three 4th of July weeks.

I do the paid driver thing in El Salvador so it seems fool-proof to me.
Punta Rocas is in a sketchball zone; do not leave your wife/gf with Swiss watch, MacBookPro, and Canon 420D at hut.
Brazzo economy has cut Brazzo tourists. Recommend Punta Rocas and K-59 for caipirinha recipe exchange in the Central/West vs. other spots.
Optimum for most of the points appears to be a low tide, coinciding with morning offshores is the best.
If you find someone selling weed who isn't charging Merrick prices for Crisco'd Surflab dog dicks, pm me the details.

Surf-specific
Pay close attention to the afternoon storm/cloud situation for decent winds later in the day.
If the spot is popular, try it anus crack of dawn, and watch it like a hawk for breakfast/boat shift rotations
Mind the down-current boulders entering at K-61.

#2626889 - 04/14/17 01:29 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
BSshwack Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: LA
Did a quick-strike Punta Rocas trip last September. Sharkbiscuit is right about it being sketchy as hell there. I didn't really ever feel unsafe, but I could tell eyes were on me as a solo traveler gringo staying in La Libertad. If I go back I'll stay outside of town and go with a guide if I want to hit Punta Rocas I think.

Frankly, I much prefer the vibes of Nicaragua and am not really in a rush to get back to El Salv although the direct flights from LAX and easy access to good surf from the San Salvador airport mean I probably will hit it again at some point.

Might be worth bringing a pair of reef booties when you go too.

#2627154 - 04/15/17 08:57 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
SurfNatsee Offline
Grom

If you go to Roca you must stay on the point itself, not in the town. I would go with Bob Rotherhams place, the "Punta Roca Restaurant Hotel" which is a 2 minute walk to the surf break, have him send a driver to the airport. You can also have him hire you a driver to take you to nearby breaks, but Roca is by far the best in that part of ES. La Libertad didnt feel that sketch, we walked around there some during the day, but definitely dont go around at night.

Also anything left on the beach including $5 flip flops will be stolen.

Edited by SurfNatsee (04/15/17 08:58 PM)

#2627240 - 04/16/17 12:36 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
barnod Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Bay Area
i doubt anything has drastically changed in past few years... updated state dept info likely reflects direction of new administration

be travel smart, know your curfew, and avoid sketchy areas that any local is familiar w/ and youre likely a-OK

#2627259 - 04/16/17 01:20 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: Sharkbiscuit]
OTdos Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sur
"Mind the down-current boulders entering at K-61." roflmao cheers
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

#2627260 - 04/16/17 01:21 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: SurfNatsee]
OTdos Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: SurfNatsee
If you go to Roca you must stay on the point itself, not in the town. I would go with Bob Rotherhams place, the "Punta Roca Restaurant Hotel" which is a 2 minute walk to the surf break, have him send a driver to the airport. You can also have him hire you a driver to take you to nearby breaks, but Roca is by far the best in that part of ES. La Libertad didnt feel that sketch, we walked around there some during the day, but definitely dont go around at night.

Also anything left on the beach including $5 flip flops will be stolen.

Zombies from the boneyard will jack you if given an opening. Bad juju.

#2628251 - 04/19/17 12:40 AM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
Matilija Offline
Nep status

Been four or five years but I'd Stay in El Tunco. Catch the bus on the highway to la libertad and Punta Roca for a quarter each way. Carry a few bucks in your trunks for some water/beer after a surf. Buy a crappy pair of slaps while you're in la libertad to use on bus missions and stash on the malecon while you surf. They'll rip your good slaps if they see you stash em. X2 on boneyard, sketchy fvckers abound.

#2629264 - 04/21/17 07:28 AM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
acnjusa Offline
Gerry Lopez status

went by myself and watched them watching me and then hired a bodyguard.
the point of him was they dont vic you cause he knows who they are and will fink.
almost ashamed to say i paid him in leashes/tees/wax.

#2629277 - 04/21/17 10:13 AM Re: El Salvador [Re: acnjusa]
OTdos Offline
Michael Peterson status

interesting.

#2629456 - 04/21/17 06:32 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
obslop Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: san diego, CA
went with oceanslide a few years back. punta roca did feel a bit sketch but everywhere else we went was chill. we rented a car and drove around with no problems.

el tunco is a good base as you have a poor man's trestles rivermouth set-up, a beach break, and the long, soft rights of Sunzal (epic if you bring a board with some solid foam).

#2629484 - 04/21/17 08:04 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
Kingston Offline
Nep status

Loc: South Bay
"The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to El Salvador due to the high rates of crime and violence. El Salvador has one of the highest homicide levels in the world and crimes such as extortion, assault and robbery are common. This replaces the Travel Warning for El Salvador dated January 15, 2016."

From US Department of State....

#2629887 - 04/23/17 08:08 AM Re: El Salvador [Re: Kingston]
OTdos Offline
Michael Peterson status

In short .... You Will Die. batman

#2629896 - 04/23/17 09:31 AM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
nightfly Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Booked it. Going through a tour company, airport pick up, two different surf camps, transfer between the two, take you to breaks etc. One place is right near Sunzal and the other above Punta Mango. Seems like a good variety of surf, nice accommodations. Not the driving around, camping on the beach and sleeping in hammocks trip of my twenties but seems like a good trip for a few guys in their 40s especially the regular foots.

#2630012 - 04/23/17 03:35 PM Re: El Salvador [Re: nightfly]
Dorado Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Mango is a great wave on low to mid tide with offshores but sadly crowded AF . It's like winter NJ but 3x as long on a solid swell always wanted to go back but have caught the Indo bug and just do a month there . Flores is another great wave on a solid swell but same deal crowded AF .