REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2628493 - 04/19/17 02:13 PM Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags???
CloseOutBs Offline
Grom

Loc: San Diego, CA
Sooo.....

I've got a dilemma, maybe you all can help with your infinite wisdom.

Going to Padang, Indo for a Mentawais Surf Charter in July from San Diego, CA.

I'm already booked with miles on a great direct flight from SD-Tokyo-Jakarta on Japan Airlines. JAL charges $200 each way for Board Bags and only allows 2 Boards max. It's a fully refundable flight that I can cancel. I only have the departure flight thus far.

Obviously, 2 boards is not enough for Indo. I also tend to break boards so I'll be lucky if I come back with any.

So, I have the option of booking a roundtrip flight with Singapore Airlines which doesn't charge board bag fees and allows up to 4 boards from what I understand. The cost of this roundtrip flight would be almost as much as the one way return flight (who would've thought?). The only issue is the itinerary which is LAX-Tokyo-Singapore-Jakarta. Therefore, it adds an extra layover which I'm OK with but more chances for boards to get lost or damaged AND I'll need to rent a car to drive to LAX from SD.

What would you do? Is it worth all the extra steps to save money and bring more boards or do I say, f**k it, I'll pay more for the direct flights and try to sneak 3 boards on Japan Air?

By the way, anyone have success sneaking an extra board on a flight that maxes # of boards? Any tips?

Thanks.

#2628520 - 04/19/17 02:42 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

Well... I would normally say to avoid the extra layover... however you already have a layover anyway... I say fook it, retrieve your miles and save some money flying Singapore Airlines with an extra layover. Having to rent a car to drive to LAX sucks though.

#2628611 - 04/19/17 04:57 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
donuts Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: @ the fun house
pm alex gray ?

#2628624 - 04/19/17 05:13 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
Truth Offline
Miki Dora status

GO JAL and throw a 3rd in there - that Singapore Air flight from LAX has shitty layover times and rent a car $80 to get to LAX and you may be stuck in traffic for hours - not worth it

I fly to indo a few times a year from SD - use United - more cash but times are way better

Used to do the LAX thing to save a few bucks - not worth it

#2628967 - 04/20/17 01:51 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
CloseOutBs Offline
Grom

Thanks.

Yeah, definitely enough horror stories with damaged boards out there. Adding a couple extra layovers and extra board handling is a risk I certainly hope doesn't come back to haunt me. Not to mention the possibility of them getting lost long enough to miss the boat's departure time.

Trying to sneak the 3rd board may be the way to go. If I get caught its gonna be a tough decision, get rid of the go-to shortboard, step up, or semi-gun(going in peak season)?

#2629050 - 04/20/17 04:14 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
VonMeister Online   mad
Phil Edwards status

I flew LAX-Seoul-Jakarta on Korean with 4 boards and was not charged fees in either direction..
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P. J. O'Rourke

When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look at him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend because she knows shes dating a pussy. -General James Mattis

#2629058 - 04/20/17 04:35 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: CloseOutBs

By the way, anyone have success sneaking an extra board on a flight that maxes # of boards? Any tips?
Thanks.

I got charged for three with a board in the coffin, a board in the sock in the coffin, and two boards in a Creatures slim fit in the coffin. Guad/Aeromexico.

Aussie guru of all that is sick and pitted recommended Bali to me solely on account of cheapo boards and cheapo Indo travel in-country. He seemed to consider the surf, other than solid Outside Corner, to be "fingered" in terms of crowds.

I used to pick fewest stops, but that means Miami and that place is always a pointless annoyance somehow.

Enjoy your trip!

#2629078 - 04/20/17 05:05 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: VonMeister]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: VonMeister
I flew LAX-Seoul-Jakarta on Korean with 4 boards and was not charged fees in either direction..

Korean is awesome, they don't charge for boards, not to mention thety are great overall. It's a bummer they stopped their So Paulo - LA flights.

#2629230 - 04/21/17 12:22 AM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
lbc1980 Offline
Grom

If you have a chance to take Singapore don't pass up this chance. Great food. Great service. Super friendly and very surfboard friendly. Key point. A layover in Singapore airport is a vacation in itself. Insane food!!! Don't see it as downtime or time to kill. I'm glad someone on here had a good experience with United, but I wouldn't go on that trip on united. Bad food, bad service. You might even pay for drinks! Don't pass up this chance to have a vacation that starts in the airport and not when you arrive. I've flown to India 7 times and anytime I used a different airline the trip sucked.

#2629232 - 04/21/17 12:26 AM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: CloseOutBs]
lbc1980 Offline
Grom

Also, another key point. If you fly Singapore all the way to your destination, they'll hold your bags in the airport so you're u only retrieve your bags at final destination. Not sure if that's possible here tho.

#2630069 - 04/23/17 05:11 PM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: VonMeister]
CloseOutBs Offline
Grom

I just booked the same flight! LAX-Seoul-Jakarta on Korean Air.

I put a tracker on the flight and it came down from $1500 to $975 so I jumped on it. Great price and its one less layover than Singapore Air. Glad I'll be able to bring 3-4 boards too.

Thanks for the tips!

#2656227 - 06/28/17 11:50 AM Re: Great Flight w/ shitty board terms or extra layovers w/free board bags??? [Re: VonMeister]
CloseOutBs Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: VonMeister

What size was your bag when you brought 4 boards? Did they give you a hard time at all? Measure your bag or boards?

Korean Air website is a bit confusing:
- Each surfboard will be charged per bag(or container).
- Each surfboard can be transported only when its total linear size is less than 277cm/109inch, and it will not incur an oversize fee.

I'm assuming total linear size is HxWxD. If its 109in for each "surfboard", I'm good. If its for the whole bag, I'm at least 10 linear inches over. I'm bringing 4 boards in a 7ft bag and my biggest board is a 6'10".

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32