REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2607147 - 02/17/17 01:21 PM Re: The Media [Re: GromsDad]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
If someone is presenting themself as a journalist I don't think it makes much difference what media they're appearing in. Do you?

I want to see journalists put on their Sgt Joe Friday face and be completely vacant in their verbals and non-verbals. I know this can be done because I do it in my day job every day as do many people in other occupations that have such expectations as part of their job descriptions.

#2607148 - 02/17/17 01:21 PM Re: The Media [Re: GDaddy]
StuAzole Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: GDaddy
The point is, their credibility and the marketability of what they are doing is still a problem of their own creation. That creation occurring by their own hand over many years. All Trump did was point out that the emperor had then blow them off when they tried to deny it.

Trump may end up being the political media's Watergate. Regardless of what should happen to him or what actually will happen to him, things will never be the same for them again.

As for Trump, his biggest problem is himself, not his opposition. At whatever point people care enough about his untruths and his hair trigger reactions to support his opposition he'll be hamstrung to do anything if not impeached for cause. So he gets what he gets.

There's no new problem here. Nixon employed the same tactics against the media way back when. It's politics, not reality.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...gnation/375274/

#2607157 - 02/17/17 01:28 PM Re: The Media [Re: GDaddy]
bird. Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: LA
If someone is presenting themself as a journalist I don't think it makes much difference what media they're appearing in. Do you?

I want to see journalists put on their Sgt Joe Friday face and be completely vacant in their verbals and non-verbals. I know this can be done because I do it in my day job every day as do many people in other occupations that have such expectations as part of their job descriptions.

No, it doesn't. I asked for clarification because frankly I don't see the same issue you do, but I never watch news on TV, so I figured I might be missing something. I will add a disclaimer that I am a total center-left cuck.

#2607164 - 02/17/17 01:36 PM Re: The Media [Re: GDaddy]
test_article Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Body of Christ, Texas
The point is, their credibility and the marketability of what they are doing is still a problem of their own creation. That creation occurring by their own hand over many years. All Trump did was point out that the emperor had then blow them off when they tried to deny it.

Trump may end up being the political media's Watergate. Regardless of what should happen to him or what actually will happen to him, things will never be the same for them again.

As for Trump, his biggest problem is himself, not his opposition. At whatever point people care enough about his untruths and his hair trigger reactions to support his opposition he'll be hamstrung to do anything if not impeached for cause. So he gets what he gets.

Every administration jousts with the media. Donald is the first to outright condemn them as liars every chance he gets. Yet, he provides no proof or even specifics. To the contrary, he resents their fact-checking of his lying assertions. This is all about his lying lies that reveal the liar he is.

#2607172 - 02/17/17 01:49 PM Re: The Media [Re: test_article]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

The topic of this thread is "The Media"

Quote:
Every administration jousts with the media. Donald is the first to outright condemn them as liars every chance he gets. Yet, he provides no proof or even specifics. To the contrary, he resents their fact-checking of his lying assertions. This is all about his lying lies that reveal the liar he is.

Okay, so what's the problem? He says his piece and they say their piece and people decide for themselves what's meaningful to them. "Meaningful" being distinct from "true".

Gallup has been tracking public confidence in the media. You can see the trendline over the last 20 years. The average annual rate of decline between 1997-2015 was 0.55% per year. Trump had nothing to do with that trend.

Meanwhile, Trump's aggregate "approval rating" (which isn't the same thing as trust") is at 42.5% over at RealClearPoltiics.com. So IRL which side here is winning and which is losing?

#2607182 - 02/17/17 01:59 PM Re: The Media [Re: GromsDad]
VonMeister Offline
Phil Edwards status

Press bashing may feel wrong to MSM who can't grasp why trust in media is at all-time low. The coalition of voters that elected Trump often have a different reality than the media. Hear and see different things.

The electoral college is a zero sum game......and it's over.

#2607186 - 02/17/17 02:02 PM Re: The Media [Re: VonMeister]
bird. Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: VonMeister
The coalition of voters that elected Trump often have a different reality than the media. Hear and see different things.

Does that necessarily mean that what Trumpkins perceive as reality is true?

#2607189 - 02/17/17 02:07 PM Re: The Media [Re: GDaddy]
StuAzole Offline
Miki Dora status

Quote:

Okay, so what's the problem? He says his piece and they say their piece and people decide for themselves what's meaningful to them. "Meaningful" being distinct from "true".

Gallup has been tracking public confidence in the media. You can see the trendline over the last 20 years. The average annual rate of decline between 1997-2015 was 0.55% per year. Trump had nothing to do with that trend.

Meanwhile, Trump's aggregate "approval rating" (which isn't the same thing as trust") is at 42.5% over at RealClearPoltiics.com. So IRL which side here is winning and which is losing?

If I had to guess, the rise in alternative media is responsible for that decline. NYT, WSJ etc. have been doing the same job they always do. Not until Breitbart or any leftist equivalent were people so easily able to find "news" that fits their views.

GromsDad and squid are perfect examples of this.

www.godlikeproductions.com

Edited by StuAzole (02/17/17 02:07 PM)

#2607191 - 02/17/17 02:09 PM Re: The Media [Re: bird.]
VonMeister Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: bird.
The coalition of voters that elected Trump often have a different reality than the media. Hear and see different things.

Yes

In this country the reality of a majority of electoral college voters is what matters. The rest is just opinion and conjecture.

#2607197 - 02/17/17 02:15 PM Re: The Media [Re: VonMeister]
rossmoor Offline
Nep status

Loc: Oahu

Yes

In this country the reality of a majority of electoral college voters is what matters. The rest is just opinion and conjecture.

LOL. Trump represents all Americans. Not just those that voted for him...

He lost the popular vote. His approval rating is in the dumpster. But yes, we should let the minority of people who support him be right foreheadslap foreheadslap

#2607200 - 02/17/17 02:20 PM Re: The Media [Re: StuAzole]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: StuAzole

Quote:

If I had to guess, the rise in alternative media is responsible for that decline. NYT, WSJ etc. have been doing the same job they always do. Not until Breitbart or any leftist equivalent were people so easily able to find "news" that fits their views.

I agree with that. And with the resulting and continued progression of that effect.

Trump is no more capable of *telling* people what they should want or what they should think than any other politician. And increasingly, any other media outlet of any type. The most any of them can do is to respond to the interests of the votes they want.

#2607202 - 02/17/17 02:21 PM Re: The Media [Re: rossmoor]
VonMeister Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: rossmoor

Yes

He lost the popular vote. His approval rating is in the dumpster. But yes, we should let the minority of people who support him be right foreheadslap foreheadslap

You're hysterical. I hope your pain lasts a long time.

#2607203 - 02/17/17 02:23 PM Re: The Media [Re: VonMeister]
rossmoor Offline
Nep status

Loc: Oahu
Originally Posted By: rossmoor

Yes

You're hysterical. I hope your pain lasts a long time.

Great response. You are completely useless to engage with around here. I lose brain cells doing so.

Waste of time...

#2607205 - 02/17/17 02:23 PM Re: The Media [Re: VonMeister]
bird. Offline
Miki Dora status

Yes

We all acknowledge that he won the electoral college. As far as I know, there's nobody disputing that anywhere or trying to move him out of office to install Hillary.

But whether he wins or not doesn't change reality regardless of what his base thinks. They are setting themselves up for major disappointment unless the main thing they like about Trump really is that he makes liberals mad and not any of his overblown campaign promises. If that's the case blind partisanship really could mean the end of a pretty good thing we've had going for the past 200+ years.

#2607208 - 02/17/17 02:26 PM Re: The Media [Re: StuAzole]
test_article Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Body of Christ, Texas
Originally Posted By: StuAzole

Quote:

Also that a poll on the media is kinda a throw-away, so-what-who-cares choice, whereas the President's rating is 'important'. That the public would appear to hold the media to a higher standard of credibility than it does the President is the upshot.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32