REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >
View All Topics Index
#2606462 - 02/16/17 11:39 AM Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
This ought to be fun. Some long time panelists already withdrew in protest.

NYM nails it:

"In the aftermath of the clash with Trotter, Griffith published a pamphlet titled “The Rise and Fall of Free Speech in America,” and directed a film titled “Intolerance,” which criticized not racism but people who were intolerant of it. Yiannopoulos is of a blinkered tradition that sees no distinction worth examining between martyrdom and limitations on one’s ability to attack others. Yiannopoulos’s act is the political equivalent of an N.B.A. guard flopping in the hope of drawing a foul, a rendition of victimhood so aptly executed as to pass for the real thing."

THE MISTAKE THE BERKELEY PROTESTERS MADE ABOUT MILO YIANNOPOULOS

"The current debates regarding free speech tend to center as much on the rights of those making offensive statements as those potentially affected by what is being said."

#2606467 - 02/16/17 11:48 AM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
frvcvs Offline
Duke status

I'm a long time real time viewer but I completely support Jeremy Scahill's decision to withdraw from the panel. Who else did?

Free speech doesn't mean you have to give someone a platform. If it did then why hasn't Maher had Charles Webster B A E R on his show?
Everything works like clockwork in a perfect world."
- Steak 7/26/15

#2606471 - 02/16/17 11:58 AM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: frvcvs]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: frvcvs
I'm a long time real time viewer but I completely support Jeremy Scahill's decision to withdraw from the panel. Who else did?

Free speech doesn't mean you have to give someone a platform. If it did then why hasn't Maher had Charles Webster B A E R on his show?

💯

The statement from Jeremy Scahill:

"I have decided not to appear this week on Real Time with Bill Maher. Here is my statement:

Today I saw the news that Milo Yiannopoulos is scheduled to be the lead guest on Friday’s episode of Real Time with Bill Maher. I was already scheduled to be a panelist on the program that same evening, along with Larry Wilmore and Jack Kingston. I have decided that I will not be appearing on the show. Before I explain my reasons for this, I want to say that I have had the pleasure of working as a correspondent for Real Time and over the years have been a guest or panelist many times. I have total admiration and respect for the producers, writers, and others who work on the show.

Over the past decade, the people at Real Time have become like family to me. I passionately disagree with—and find offensive— some of Bill’s views, particularly when his comments on Islam and Muslims veer into vitriol. At the same time, I have deep respect for Bill and his voice on many other issues and I believe he and his staff have created a vital platform for debate and discussion that at times I love and other times loathe. I know I fall into the latter category for some of the show’s viewers because I hear from them every time I appear. Whatever one might say about Bill, he always allows guests to challenge him or disagree with him.

But Milo Yiannopoulos is many bridges too far. He has ample venues to spew his hateful diatribes. There is no value in “debating” him. Appearing on Real Time will provide Yiannopoulos with a large, important platform to openly advocate his racist, anti-immigrant campaign. It will be exploited by Yiannopoulos in an attempt to legitimize his hateful agenda. Yiannopoulos’s appearance could also be used to incite violence against immigrants, transgender people, and others at a time when the Trump Administration is already seeking to formalize a war against some of the most vulnerable people in our society. Yiannopoulos has shown he will use his appearances to publicly attack and shame specific ordinary people by name, a practice which could lead to violence or even death
. Real Time, of course, has the right to book whomever it wants on its show, including Yiannopoulos. But I cannot participate in an event that will give a platform to such a person. For these reasons, I have informed the producers of Real Time that I will not appear on the show.

—Jeremy Scahill, journalist."

#2606473 - 02/16/17 12:02 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
manbearpig Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: its so flat
I have mixed feelings on this guy. As much as I believe in freedom of speech I think being a good person kind of goes hand in hand with it. Pushing it too far you have to kind if expect repercussion, not from the government of course in most cases.

I just hate the new "troll" thing where guys push it as far as possible then get upset when there's repercussion and act like the victim

Archived photos: Flickr

#2606478 - 02/16/17 12:08 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

To put this in perspective for those who will say "it's just speech" (GDaddy poke )

Even the right wing news sources are on it.

Report: Anti-Muslim groups triple in U.S. amid Trump hate rhetoric

New map shows the booming number of h... radical right'

#2606484 - 02/16/17 12:14 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: manbearpig]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
I have mixed feelings on this guy. As much as I believe in freedom of speech I think being a good person kind of goes hand in hand with it.

The point is that this has long past the point of just speech (see above articles).

Some people are still waiting for hate speech to turn into "action" before we do something about it. I'm not sure what that action is supposed to be? Gas chambers?

Hate groups propagating violence and ethnic cleansing is not enough "action"?
The Muslim ban is not enough "action"?

#2606491 - 02/16/17 12:20 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
GromsDad Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
Originally Posted By: FecalFace
This ought to be fun. Some long time panelists already withdrew in protest.

What a laugh. I don't watch the show but find it funny that when given the chance to appear with Milo the liberal snowflakes run and hide rather than engage him in the arena.

"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As Government expands, Liberty contracts." Ronald Reagan

#2606493 - 02/16/17 12:22 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
LOL

Bill Maher's show will go on whether that journalist's seat is filled or not. And instead of engaging Milo directly this guy is choosing to allow Milo that much less opposition in that forum. Maher's viewers can choose to ignore that episode or not. At any rate, there will be tape for people to point at as a means of picking out the soundbites they think support their case that Milo is or isn't a racist or a fascist.

My guess is that the people making the allegations will come up dry - again - when it comes time to prove their case using quotes. So instead, they'll point to feelz and trace the conspiracy theory that Breitbart is the official communications organ for white nationalism which makes Milo guilty by association.

As if everyone who works at HuffPo shares common cause with every article writer they publish.

#2606495 - 02/16/17 12:27 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
GromsDad Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-increased-2016

New map shows the booming number of hate groups that have sprung up since Obama's campaign of racial division.

Fixed that.

"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As Government expands, Liberty contracts." Ronald Reagan

#2606496 - 02/16/17 12:27 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
donuts Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: @ the fun house
as part of your application process for american citizenship, will you have to provide any written character references in support of this likely failed endeavor ?

will you be approaching any of the regular erbbers for these ?

i would be only too happy to offer a lavish encomium on your behalf.
i'll print it out on crane's 100% cotton bond too. jam_on

all this is assuming you haven't made too many misrepresentations of your past on the forms. shameonyou

#2606503 - 02/16/17 12:37 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
test_article Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Body of Christ, Texas
When the First Amendment was written it was still perfectly acceptable to settle verbal disputes by dueling. Now that the states have outlawed dueling there could be an imbalance in The Force, i.e., the First Amendment maybe should be amended. Restore speaking freely to a position of honor.

~James Taylor

#2606504 - 02/16/17 12:37 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: GDaddy]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: GDaddy
Action leads to reaction. The F-U reaction you guys are complaining about were inevitable. How could you possibly believe your illogical hypocrisy and double standards would hold in perpetuity?

You hate them, they hate you back. The contempt is mutual. If you get violent with them they will eventually get violent with you in response. That's inevitable, too.

Did you read the New Yorker article?

As many times before, you are falsely equating intolerance and hatred with opposition to intolerance and hatred.

If Squidley says "I hate the gays because of their filthy ways" and then gays say "we hate Squidley because he's a hater", that's not the same.

Cause and effect.

"The current debates regarding free speech tend to center as much on the rights of those making offensive statements as those potentially affected by what is being said."

#2606512 - 02/16/17 12:46 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
This is all faulty neuroception due to incivility.
"Unfortunately, to put it in one phrase, the Democrats are unable to defend the United States of America from the most vicious, ignorant, corporate-indentured, militaristic, anti-union, anti-consumer, anti-environment, anti-posterity [Republican Party] in history." -Ralph Nader

#2606521 - 02/16/17 12:52 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
donuts Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: @ the fun house
Action leads to reaction. The F-U reaction you guys are complaining about were inevitable. How could you possibly believe your illogical hypocrisy and double standards would hold in perpetuity?

You hate them, they hate you back. The contempt is mutual. If you get violent with them they will eventually get violent with you in response. That's inevitable, too.

As many times before, you are falsely equating intolerance and hatred with opposition to intolerance and hatred.

If Squidley says "I hate the gays because of their filthy ways" and then gays say "we hate Squidley because he's a hater", that's not the same.

Cause and effect.

If you keep on acting like this, GDaddy and GWS aren't going to write nice references for your U.S. Citizenship Application. shameonyou

I still will though!
wave2

#2606529 - 02/16/17 01:08 PM Re: Milo appearing on Bill Maher Show this Friday [Re: FecalFace]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad

Cause and effect.

You're completely wrong in that there's a huge distinction between respecting the right of speech vs respecting the content of that speech. They're two mutually exclusive and separate actions, not variations of the same action. That you refuse to acknowledge that amounts to some deliberate intellectual dishonesty on your part.

Which is not moral even if you believe in the morality of your motivation to act that way. If the ends justify the means then the diversity of those ends leads to the potential for some very serious consequences.

The moral crusader who thinks they can punch a nazi or an antifa protester should be prepared to get stabbed or shot in response because once we cross the line into violence there is no other philosophical barrier to the escalation of that violence.

I keep telling you this and you keep ignoring it - you don't want to assume any more power than you're willing to cede to your worst enemies.

As for equating, here's what I equate. I equate the peaceful opposition to intolerance with the peaceful rejection of of intolerance; and I equate the violent opposition to intolerance with the violent rejection of intolerance.

Nothing less than the Golden Rule. Your double standard toward the use of violence to impose your will on others is hypocritical and immoral.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32