REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2606304 - 02/15/17 07:22 PM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: squidley]
slash Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Somewhere between heaven and h...
Under those circumstances, Roger Federer cracked like a typical cracker.

#2606353 - 02/16/17 12:08 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: squidley]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
ESPN is only reacting to complaints from illiterate idiots who can't distinguish guerilla from gorilla.

That's capitalism for you. ESPN sucks balls but it's no different than any other corporation in that they don't give a shit about right and wrong or ethics. It's all about the bottom line, shareholder cck sucking and FREE MARKUT.

You normally gobble that shit right up. What's wrong now? poke

PS gorilla / guerilla dumbfuckery happens way more often than it should. I know established production companies who market their services as "gorilla style shooting". foreheadslap

#2606357 - 02/16/17 12:12 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: ifallalot]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: ifallalot
You can tell by all the fat and ugly sideline reporters and that grating sound of that woman play-by-play announcer that ESPN went full SJW a long time ago

I haven't watched Ozzie open this year but who are these fat and ugly women reporters?

As far as I know, they are all ex-pro athletes.

#2606373 - 02/16/17 12:54 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: FecalFace]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: Your head, rent free
Originally Posted By: FecalFace
ESPN is only reacting to complaints from illiterate idiots who can't distinguish guerilla from gorilla

I believe the comment was NOT written. It was spoken.

If I have that correct, the difference in spelling is not distinguishable which takes literacy out of the equation and makes it more a matter of enunciation. Considering that via the spoken word, pronunciation differences between the two words are pretty much indistinguishable for most people, it was an unfortunate choice of words. One which should have been avoided for obvious reasons.

#2606377 - 02/16/17 01:32 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: FecalFace]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
You can tell by all the fat and ugly sideline reporters and that grating sound of that woman play-by-play announcer that ESPN went full SJW a long time ago

I haven't watched Ozzie open this year but who are these fat and ugly women reporters?

As far as I know, they are all ex-pro athletes.

I'm not talking about the Aussie open, I'm talking about real sports

Holly Rowe is the one off the top of my head.

#2606380 - 02/16/17 01:42 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: GWS]
Surfdog Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: Oceanside,CA
This commercial used to be funny, but it's now a way of life......

What's even more funny and ironic, was that "clean diesel" was far from it.

We a need a Speech Police version of this Cheap Trick classic now.

#2606381 - 02/16/17 02:09 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: GWS]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: GWS
ESPN is only reacting to complaints from illiterate idiots who can't distinguish guerilla from gorilla

If I have that correct, the difference in spelling is not distinguishable which takes literacy out of the equation and makes it more a matter of enunciation. Considering that via the spoken word, pronunciation differences between the two words are pretty much indistinguishable for most people, it was an unfortunate choice of words. One which should have been avoided for obvious reasons.

I can't believe that we switched sides on this argument. roflmao

Guerrilla and gorilla have distinctly different prounounciations.
The only way that these two words can be confused is if a person prounouncing it doesn't know the difference and prounouces them the same way.

I mean, who pronounces O and E (ue) the same way?

#2606383 - 02/16/17 02:40 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: FecalFace]
craigj532 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Can you hear the difference here?

#2606407 - 02/16/17 08:57 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: GWS]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point

Context clues.

Human have difficulty detecting small differences.

Also, it's fun to watch people go down for making a little fvck up.

EDIT, I just watch the video: he meant primate.

A charging gorilla.

I don't think he meant to be racist.

I think it's good metaphor, meaning aggression and strength of a charging gorrilla. We've all seen the movies of them charging a cameraman. Added to this she's black skinned and muscular.

You don't fire for that. You make a correction. If he does it again maybe you fire him.

We never let people fvck up anymore.

The message is clear

BE CAREFUL

Which is good but we lose agility and the potential for innovation and creativity.

Funny how squidly couldn't get the context clue right.

--Mr Metaphor out!

On a side note, my students were all out of control one time and I said, "The monkeys are running the monkey house" and one of my black students said, did you just call me a monkey?

I had to go all targets and vehicles on him.

Never question Mr Metaphor!

Black people are definitely different than white people.

They are.

But not in a bad way.

Well, not in an all bad way.

They are like guerrillas behind enemy lines.

There is a different vibe

As I was walking out of my office last night there was a "Sister Talk Support Group" and there were all these black girls walking out and I thought, I wish I had a cool black girl friend with a kick ass body.

#2606448 - 02/16/17 11:05 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: FecalFace]
GWS Offline
Duke status

The only way that these two words can be confused is if a person prounouncing it doesn't know the difference and prounouces them the same way.

What "argument?" I think that's a large part of your problem. You view everything as an argument and you must win. Can't you ever just have a discussion?

The way the vast majority of people pronounce the two words is identical to indistinguishable. Listen to the above linked video of the incident. What did he mean? I don't know. I will bet if you used the mic on your smart phone and said each word, switching between the two, spoke rapidly, over and over and over again and then listened to yourself, you couldn't tell the difference one to the other.

My only point when I first posted on this thread was that it was a major blunder to use that word in connection with a black athlete. One a professional broadcaster should know to avoid. One I'm sure he wishes he could take back. Which is kind of a "no $hit Sherlock" thing to say at this point given the results.

But if you want to take a matter of diction/enunciation and attempt to turn it into a literacy discussion, perhaps we should talk about your inability to spell "pronunciation" and its variants. Three times.

#2606449 - 02/16/17 11:14 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: craigj532]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: craigj532

Thank you.

So a charging gorilla?

Or a charging guerilla?

As I recall guerrilla warfare is all about hit and run, ambushing, sabotage, generally tactics used by an outnumbered, smaller foe.

To associate the word with a charging larger opponent, that pretty much makes it sound like gorilla is the word he was going for.

But whatever. I'm sure he'll never make that mistake again if he gets a chance to work again.

#2606468 - 02/16/17 11:51 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: GWS]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

What "argument?" I think that's a large part of your problem. You view everything as an argument and you must win. Can't you ever just have a discussion?

I didn't read the rest of your diatribe but you need to learn some basics here.

In order to join the discussion you need to put forward an ARGUMENT.
That doesn't mean that people are arguing, it means that people discussing by putting forth coherent arguments.

Context is everything, learn it.

#2606469 - 02/16/17 11:55 AM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: craigj532]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: craigj532

That does sound bad.

Now that I hear his voice, I remember that idiot.
He's been known to irritate in more ways than one.

What happened to McEnroe bros and Navratilova behind the mic?

#2606476 - 02/16/17 12:07 PM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: FecalFace]
GWS Offline
Duke status

I didn't read the rest of your diatribe but you need to learn some basics here.

In order to join the discussion you need to put forward an ARGUMENT.
That doesn't mean that people are arguing, it means that people discussing by putting forth coherent arguments.

Context is everything, learn it.

Over and over again I take it as a personal challenge to communicate with you. To break through. Clearly I'm wasting my time. I don't have what it takes. I can't get through the stupid. Your dumb is simply too powerful for me. You are the Jedi warrior of doltishness. The speed with which you wield your lightsaber of imbecility is daunting. I am helpless before your moronic onslaughts.

Uncle.

Go forth, live long and prosper.

You win.

#2606489 - 02/16/17 12:17 PM Re: "Guerilla warriors" is okay, but referring to a "guerilla" tennis champ is a fire-able offense [Re: donuts]
test_article Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Body of Christ, Texas
Originally Posted By: donuts
you are an enigma to me. shrug

It said eNIGma!

~James Taylor

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32