REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2590565 - 01/10/17 04:09 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: craigj532]
Racer1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: craigj532
People in Kailua can start complaining about tourists when they all get rid of their illegal vacation rentals.

As well as the Catch 22 of the Japanese bus loads and their spending (they spend about 50% more daily than other travelers, particularly retail gifts). Hopefully they are spending at locally owned businesses, not Target/Jamba.

There's 38,000 Instagram posts under #カイルア (Japanese for Kailua):
http://picbear.com/tag/カイルア

Edited by Racer1 (01/10/17 04:15 PM)

#2590576 - 01/10/17 04:21 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: Racer1]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Racer1
To compound the problem, Hawaii attracts mainland homeless because of the year around warm weather and the low unemployment rate.

How do the homeless manage airfare?

Or do you mean, mainlanders who sell their 2006 Ford Focus to scrape up the one way airfare in hope of landing the construction/landscaping/etc job of their dreams?

'Itinerant Mainland Drug users' is the name of my new alt-jazz calypso fusion synth band, with their current #3 hit on the charts 'What can I get for this?'

#2590578 - 01/10/17 04:25 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: subway]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: subway

I remember reading (probably the same article) that the entire population of the US could be fit into the State of NY, at a population/development density similar to Brooklyn. Think of that. One small chunk of the country where everyone lives in 2 to 4 story charming brownstone walk ups, in relative harmony, while EVERY OTHER STATE is wide open for nature, farming, pasturing...We can put all the manufacturing and heavy industry in West Texas. Who woudl even notice?

When I was a kid in grade school, I heard the population of the world could fit in Oregon if everyone had a single square foot to stand in.

It makes me wonder...does every state has this wacky sort of math done an apply it to some sort of population related factoid?

#2590581 - 01/10/17 04:32 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: the janitor]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: the janitor

I am far from an expert on the homeless issue here, but it feels like the last real progress SF made was Gavin Newsom's "care not cash" initiative several years back. Curious to know what the SF erBB crew's take is on that though shrug

Progress[edit]
A study released February 9, 2005, indicated that the number of County Adult Assistance Programs (CAAP) residents who declared themselves to be homeless residents of San Francisco had decreased from 2,497 to 679 since implementation of Care Not Cash in May 2004.[3] As of January 2007, the caseload had decreased further to 333, although Mayor Newsom admitted in a radio interview that two or three new homeless persons come to San Francisco for each homeless person that gets off the streets.[4]

Update 2016 San Francisco report, following 1,818 homeless adults for eight years from 2007 to 2015, showed that before entering the program living on their own, costs averaged $21,000/person due to urgent emergency care, jail time, and behavioral health services. And after entering supportive housing, costs initially more than doubled for ongoing housing, medical care, and mental health by 2011, but then started decreasing yearly since by 56% in 2015.[5]

Link.

Was (Is?) Sweden or Finland (UK?) who is experimenting with Cash not Care? the idea being you get monthly stipend, don't have to work, but get nothing else, and it is cheaper for society in the long run?

#2590599 - 01/10/17 04:53 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: Mr Doof]
Racer1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
Originally Posted By: Racer1
To compound the problem, Hawaii attracts mainland homeless because of the year around warm weather and the low unemployment rate.

How do the homeless manage airfare?

Or do you mean, mainlanders who sell their 2006 Ford Focus to scrape up the one way airfare in hope of landing the construction/landscaping/etc job of their dreams?

'Itinerant Mainland Drug users' is the name of my new alt-jazz calypso fusion synth band, with their current #3 hit on the charts 'What can I get for this?'

From this 2010 Gawker article, this guy got a one way for $150.
http://gawker.com/5535977/homeless-buy-a-one-way-ticket-to-hawaii

Also, IHS gets 150 calls a year about people wanting to move to Hawaii to be homeless:
http://khon2.com/2015/01/18/ihs-mainland-people-looking-to-be-homeless-in-hawaii/

So maybe they stack a couple social security checks during a cold winter, dream about living on the beach with low unemployment rates and making it work.

I just looked on Google Flights and one way tickets are $250.

Edited by Racer1 (01/10/17 04:56 PM)

#2590660 - 01/10/17 07:26 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: Racer1]
maybe Offline
Nep status

letz get this thread back on point. What has been going on at the RVCA house?? According to a post by Joel Tudor on Knost's instagram page... apparently Knost almost got a "haole pounding." What happened? Did Knost take the last Pabst or put his ciggie out in the sand?? Who's got the dirt?
signed, TMZ

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNtc2nPDcK8/?taken-by=knostthankyou&hl=en

#2590681 - 01/10/17 07:52 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: Mr Doof]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: _____
Since the V is a roman U and it's all caps like the Roman alphabet, would the A be pronounced "ae", like, Rookay? dancing

I was told there would be no Roman language studies! cussing

That's Latin...

#2591181 - 01/11/17 04:36 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: ifallalot]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Originally Posted By: _____
Since the V is a roman U and it's all caps like the Roman alphabet, would the A be pronounced "ae", like, Rookay? dancing

I was told there would be no Roman language studies! cussing

That's Latin...

Then why didn't he say "like the Latin alphabet".

computer coffee

#2591314 - 01/11/17 09:51 PM Re: RVCA House [Re: Redeyes]
Racer1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

You notice all the new brands don't really mean anything and are just sounds?

Vissla.
RVCA.
Banks.
Roark.
Poler.
Brixton.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32