REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1859716 - 01/23/12 08:59 PM oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review)
kellsmith Offline
Miki Dora status

my hydroflex/pu oakfoils twinzer skate

6'0 x 20.5 x 2.45
29.14 l
6'1 x 173

ive had it for about 2 months now but the pics are older
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Wayne Okamoto shape
colored pu blank (usblanks)
hydroflex vacuum bagged epoxy 6+6 / 6
6.5 lbs with wax fins and pad
scarfini twin set

ive been riding it exlusively for about 2 months now. i finally am going to do a review because its done a LOT for my surfing and i couldnt be more stoked on it. ive had a lot of sessions in a lot of different conditions from weak slop to fast pointbreaks to barreling beachbreaks and it excels in everything, knee high-overhead. i havent wanted to ride anything else since i picked this thing up.

first off, i love the distribution of foam throughout. rails are just right for my tastes, gently pinched, and the foil, combined with the lower rocker, tapers so crisply to the nose. this is my second "skate" from wayne and he took my incoherent feedback from #1 and applied it perfectly in #2. made some updates, thinned/foiled it out a little more and twinzer'd it and i LOVE it.

this is my first experience with the twinzer setup and im sold. it is so loose and free feeling but has sooo much more drive built in than the twin fin version. i feel like it responds a lot better to pumping off the back foot and it glides through top turns and cutbacks so smoothly, yet also powerfully. i find myself thinking of the board being on rails. no loss of speed at all from initiation, all the way through. its a really amazing feeling. wrapping a nice round turn on the right section with this board makes me feel like a wayyy better surfer than i am.

its definitely upped my surfing a TON in the 2 months ive been riding it. of course i still have kook moments but when im clicking, the board will go anywhere i can put it. ive had lots of those surprising moments where i come out of a turn thinking... i did NOT expect to make that. the twinzer is free and loose and FAST and drivey and has so much hold through turns. as long as i have my weight distributed right i dont worry about washing out at all. im using a larger twin template so that may have something to do with it as well. i tried the glass T1 template for 2 sessions but i didnt like it as much.

in small waves its nice and loose and, with the extra width, i have no problem groveling. in bigger and faster waves, if i sit over the fin cluster, it will bank and project anywhere i point it. tons of trim speed in this board. i really dont have to work hard at all for it to fly.

hydroflex/pu construction has help up great. footwells under the front foot. it has the coolest feel to it. solid and strong under my arm (i glassed it 6+6/6 for durability) but under my feet it doesnt feel stiff at all. in fact i think it feels MORE lively and springy than pu/pe. so its a great choice for me. i really value strength in boards and being able to enjoy the strength with no reduction (actually an improvement) in ride feel really makes me happy. its 6.5 lbs, and for my tastes, thats nice and light without being a toy.

everyone loves a board that makes em surf better than they should. thats what this board does for me and i couldnt be happier. im stoked on hydroflex, twinzers, and wayne okamoto. really great guy, friendly, approachable, and knows his stuff inside and out. hes been around for a really long time, just flying under the radar the way he likes it. hes currently working on another project for me too, which i cant wait for. especially for the south bay surfer, he knows the waves really well and can seriously dial a board in. hit wayne up, u will be stoked!

if you see me with my gray twinzer say whats up!

#1859717 - 01/23/12 09:08 PM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
retodd Offline
Duke status

twinzers

Oakfoils

advanced lam

your stocked

#1859718 - 01/23/12 09:17 PM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: retodd]
saltyNuts Offline
Billy Hamilton status

compliments on the custom tail pad too!

#1859719 - 01/23/12 09:34 PM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
OceanGuy Offline
Nep status

jealous.

#1859720 - 01/23/12 09:39 PM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: OceanGuy]
laidback Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: NOC
thats a good time!

#1859721 - 01/24/12 09:13 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
Fruitbison Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Vancouver
That's a great board there, Kelly. I can't wait to see that in the flesh - how does it paddle through that cavitating south bay slop we have right now?
And how are the fins? Was there a good selection for your board?
You must be stocked, especially after your last board mishap.

#1859722 - 01/24/12 09:23 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
hallucinogenic_toreador Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: socal beachbreak barrels
Quote:

my hydroflex/pu oakfoils twinzer skate

6'0 x 20.5 x 2.45
29.14 l
6'1 x 173

ive had it for about 2 months now but the pics are older
[image]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff478/kellsmith91/oaktwinzer2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket[/image]
[image]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff478/kellsmith91/oaktwinzer1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket[/image]
[image]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff478/kellsmith91/oaktwinzer3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket[/image]
[image]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff478/kellsmith91/oaktwinzer5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket[/image]
[image]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff478/kellsmith91/oaktwinzer4.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket[/image]

Wayne Okamoto shape
colored pu blank (usblanks)
hydroflex vacuum bagged epoxy 6+6 / 6
6.5 lbs with wax fins and pad
scarfini twin set

ive been riding it exlusively for about 2 months now. i finally am going to do a review because its done a LOT for my surfing and i couldnt be more stoked on it. ive had a lot of sessions in a lot of different conditions from weak slop to fast pointbreaks to barreling beachbreaks and it excels in everything, knee high-overhead. i havent wanted to ride anything else since i picked this thing up.

first off, i love the distribution of foam throughout. rails are just right for my tastes, gently pinched, and the foil, combined with the lower rocker, tapers so crisply to the nose. this is my second "skate" from wayne and he took my incoherent feedback from #1 and applied it perfectly in #2. made some updates, thinned/foiled it out a little more and twinzer'd it and i LOVE it.

this is my first experience with the twinzer setup and im sold. it is so loose and free feeling but has sooo much more drive built in than the twin fin version. i feel like it responds a lot better to pumping off the back foot and it glides through top turns and cutbacks so smoothly, yet also powerfully. i find myself thinking of the board being on rails. no loss of speed at all from initiation, all the way through. its a really amazing feeling. wrapping a nice round turn on the right section with this board makes me feel like a wayyy better surfer than i am.

its definitely upped my surfing a TON in the 2 months ive been riding it. of course i still have kook moments but when im clicking, the board will go anywhere i can put it. ive had lots of those surprising moments where i come out of a turn thinking... i did NOT expect to make that. the twinzer is free and loose and FAST and drivey and has so much hold through turns. as long as i have my weight distributed right i dont worry about washing out at all. im using a larger twin template so that may have something to do with it as well. i tried the glass T1 template for 2 sessions but i didnt like it as much.

in small waves its nice and loose and, with the extra width, i have no problem groveling. in bigger and faster waves, if i sit over the fin cluster, it will bank and project anywhere i point it. tons of trim speed in this board. i really dont have to work hard at all for it to fly.

hydroflex/pu construction has help up great. footwells under the front foot. it has the coolest feel to it. solid and strong under my arm (i glassed it 6+6/6 for durability) but under my feet it doesnt feel stiff at all. in fact i think it feels MORE lively and springy than pu/pe. so its a great choice for me. i really value strength in boards and being able to enjoy the strength with no reduction (actually an improvement) in ride feel really makes me happy. its 6.5 lbs, and for my tastes, thats nice and light without being a toy.

everyone loves a board that makes em surf better than they should. thats what this board does for me and i couldnt be happier. im stoked on hydroflex, twinzers, and wayne okamoto. really great guy, friendly, approachable, and knows his stuff inside and out. hes been around for a really long time, just flying under the radar the way he likes it. hes currently working on another project for me too, which i cant wait for. especially for the south bay surfer, he knows the waves really well and can seriously dial a board in. hit wayne up, u will be stoked!

if you see me with my gray twinzer say whats up!

not to be confused with me, and my gray twnzer!

great review, and pretty in-line with my perspective of twinzer performance characteristics.

started my love affair back in '92 with a 6'2" minami on oahu...rekindled 19 years later with the russell hoyte rapid fire twynzer.

with deference to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

you may want to try slightly larger canards, shift the balance of fin area between the canards and mains slightly, see how you like it.

it looks like your set-up has a lot of differential between the canards and mains, more than standard.

i'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, just an observation.

anyway, i can't ever see myself NOT having an RHD RFT as the DD shortboard anchor in my quiver for 2-5' surf. i surf small-medium waves so much better on it than a thruster geared towards smaller surf. no comparison. faster, freer, more drive and skate across the face, and for whatever reason, it provides for an ability to recover from over-zealous top turns and stick landings much more consistently than a thruster of similar type.

great looking board and killer review!

#1859723 - 01/24/12 09:38 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: laidback]
GDaddy Online   sleepy
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
Great looking board, great review. Stoked for you. Thanks for posting.

#1859724 - 01/24/12 09:45 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
alaskasurfer Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: AK
These grey twinzer reviews are killing me, wanting one so bad, must...resist...ordering...another...surfboard

Lord Byron

#1859725 - 01/24/12 09:47 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: alaskasurfer]
FishFace Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Del Mar, CA
SICK

#1859726 - 01/24/12 09:56 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
averagejoe Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: santa cruz

#1859727 - 01/24/12 10:02 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: hallucinogenic_toreador]
kellsmith Offline
Miki Dora status

thats a good idea ht, re: canard size. i have been wanting to try different canards, but i havent had the chance. i do have an even smaller pair with fcs tabs that i havent tried yet. ill keep an eye out for bigger ones.

and thanks to all!

#1859728 - 01/24/12 01:05 PM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
updgrader Offline
Grom

Loc: SoCal
Good review. Looking forward to reading additional feedback as you experiment with fin configs. Wayne is just killing me with the skates and templates he's dishing out..The force is strong but I have to hold off just a few more months

Stoked that you're having a blast riding this beauty.

#1859729 - 01/24/12 02:18 PM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: kellsmith]
hallucinogenic_toreador Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: socal beachbreak barrels
Quote:

thats a good idea ht, re: canard size. i have been wanting to try different canards, but i havent had the chance. i do have an even smaller pair with fcs tabs that i havent tried yet. ill keep an eye out for bigger ones.

and thanks to all!

are those inside foil canards? i bet they work great as the canard in twinzer set-ups - bonus acceleration/redirection of the water over the main fin's foil.

i would think you can get similar performance out of a slightly reduced canard size going with the inside foil. just a thought.

#1859730 - 01/25/12 09:34 AM Re: oakfoils twinzer skate (x tended review) [Re: updgrader]
meegoreng Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Southbay
Great board and great review. I had a similar board that I wish I hadnt gotten rid of. So much drive and loose at the same time. This just validates that I'm gonna have to get a Hydfroflex'd skate from Wayne.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >