REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2183324 - 03/30/14 02:43 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
PhatCruiser Offline
Michael Peterson status

I got to race Hobie Cats for awhile in my teens. What a blast. Hanging out in a trapeze at speed was a rush. RIP to an innovator.

#2183331 - 03/30/14 03:51 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: PhatCruiser]
Steak Offline
Duke status

Loc: NorCenCal
Originally Posted By: PhatCruiser
I got to race Hobie Cats for awhile in my teens. What a blast. Hanging out in a trapeze at speed was a rush. RIP to an innovator.

I did a bunch of sailing on Hobie cats over the years. They were a rush. Got
cartwheeled a couple of times in high winds on a lake we sailed on over the
hill in the bay area.

The price you pay for speed. grin2

#2183332 - 03/30/14 03:53 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: bloomies]
_Pico Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: SUP Nation
in 1968 my brother and I I got a Hobie Makaha Skate board for Christmas. We lived in Beverly Hills and used to wake up the neighborhood skating before school. My mom got a job in the Sierra Nevada 69/70 at a Ski Resort. I was 7 years old and was lost in a blizzard trying to walk home. Hobies daughter picked me up and took me to their house and called my Mom. I met the Alters that night, then attended school and learned to ski with them that year. The season was ending and political madness was running through the development company and Hobie offered my Mom a job in Capo Beach working for Coast Catamaran. Went to Palisades with Hobie Jr and Jeff. Got a 14 foot Cat and taught myself to sail between DP harbor and SC pier. We would get all our Ski stuff, Metaflex and Cadillac wheels from the old DP store. Got the old Boogie Board kits you had to build at home. We would just hang out there and the shop guys would give you a quarter to run get them sodas from Party Time. Man Hobie set the stage.

Foam surfboard Blanks and the most popular sailboat of all time, the Hobie Cat
Peace Unko Hobie...

Edited by _Pico (03/30/14 02:39 PM)

#2183338 - 03/30/14 04:26 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: bloomies]
_Pico Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: SUP Nation
Originally Posted By: Commodore

Edited by _Pico (03/30/14 04:26 AM)

#2183340 - 03/30/14 06:06 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
el_calvo Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: NE
I went from a 9-6 Greg Noll to an 8-2 Hobie Super Mini and discovered a whole new world. It was like going from a dump truck to a Corvette. I was amazed when a friend of mine told me my fin was coming out of the water when I bottom turned.

As much as I loved my original Greg Noll, that Hobie Super Mini was what made me a life long surfer. My friend still has his Super Mini in the garage. I wish I had kept mine.

#2183346 - 03/30/14 10:13 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
ifallalot Online   sick
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
RIP Hobie. The Oceanside Surf Museum had a very good Hobie exhibit

#2183353 - 03/30/14 11:02 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
waveslidin Offline
Grom

It is raining here in Virginia right now, God is crying. Thank you for everything you have contributed to our lives. Rest in peace Mr. Alter, you changed so many lives for the better!

#2183356 - 03/30/14 11:15 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
hillstmikey Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Aww man the passing of another legend. RIP and thank you for paving the way for us!

#2183357 - 03/30/14 11:15 AM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
Hump Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Vancouver Island
A 1962 10'2" Hobie given to the late Jim Van Dame for his 16th. Birthday.

R.I.P. Hobie..................legend for sure.

Take care

#2183404 - 03/30/14 02:20 PM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: Hump]
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status

About a year ago I heard he wasn't doing too well. So many memories with Hobie's. Some of my highlights are....

As a grom my friends and I would go to the shop all the time, my family always shopped there, and still do. We lived about four blocks from the old store, my Dad is still there. We surely helped with their profits cool2

Worked for Hobies for 15 or so years, watched it changed owners quite a few times. So many good memories and good people.

I worked at the old shop the last day they closed it. I still think they should have kept it, but business is business.

Met all the Alters and the crew of legends that made up Hobies.

Saw the progression of Hobies power catamaran he built. Was there when he put it in the water, he wasn't sure it was going to float.

I have sailed a Hobie catamaran, only a few times, but got "pitched poled" on a bigger day out at killer capo. I have the scars from the rigging to prove it grin

I have owned many Hobie surfboards, only thrusters, except for one. The day I left Hobie's they let me pick a board off the rack, I grabbed a 10' Hobie Phil Edwards with a T band stringer. I have never surfed it, yeah I know it should be ridden, but it's my gold watch that I keep up on the wall to remind me of those days.

He past away on my birthday, thanks for all the memories.
bawling cheers

#2183405 - 03/30/14 02:26 PM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
Fuller Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: .·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Perhaps the most influential surfer, shaper, designer in my water centric world. How many people would not have been introduced to the sport in the 60's if not for Hobie Alter?

RIP

#2183421 - 03/30/14 03:46 PM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: valley purgatory
Very sad but great stories here.

RIP Hobie and thanks everyone for sharing.

#2183425 - 03/30/14 03:59 PM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
royallen Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: the swamp

#2183456 - 03/30/14 05:50 PM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
ifallalot Online   sick
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
I want to name the new baby Hobie, but I think its too close to Bodie

#2183467 - 03/30/14 06:30 PM Re: Hobie Alter… surfer, sailor, all around good guy, passes... [Re: ]
manbearpig Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: its so flat
RIP to a legendary human that defines water man in the true sense. Love my Hobie kayaks, the boards I've ridden and the boats I've sailed. He had a real keen sense for what worked on the water.

Archived photos: Flickr

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32