REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1762375 - 07/08/11 11:46 PM New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape
wegosurf Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: So Cal
With summer here, I wanted a small stubby board that could still catch a lot of waves but not have the bulk and size to have to lug around. So this is what Wayne Okamoto over at Oak Foils came up with. Dim's are approx 5'10" X 22" X 2 7/8"

Taken it out a handful of times so far and it is such a blast to ride. Paddles really well, glides into waves early and loose and fun to ride.

#1762376 - 07/09/11 01:51 AM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: wegosurf]
FresnoRipper Offline
Michael Peterson status

Quote:

With summer here, I wanted a small stubby board that could still catch a lot of waves but not have the bulk and size to have to lug around. So this is what Wayne Okamoto over at Oak Foils came up with. Dim's are approx 5'10" X 22" X 2 7/8"

Taken it out a handful of times so far and it is such a blast to ride. Paddles really well, glides into waves early and loose and fun to ride.

#1762377 - 07/09/11 07:02 AM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: wegosurf]
averagejoe Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: santa cruz
that's pretty cool
the outline almost looks like it has that same bump that the tomos do

#1762378 - 07/09/11 07:14 AM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: wegosurf]
teeroi Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: eastside oahu
wow that looks sick. that cut off blunt nose is appearing in more and more boards. the mini-simmons i tried had keels fins. would love to ride it again with a little center fin like yours that would probably keep it from washing out on more vertical turns.

#1762379 - 07/12/11 11:12 AM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: wegosurf]
Mikeee Offline
Grom

Loc: Hermosa Beach, CA
I really like the look of this board! Been wanting a "bar of soap" type of a board for some time now and am very interested in some feedback on how it rides.

#1762380 - 07/12/11 11:27 AM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: wegosurf]
squattyfk Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: HB in the OC
share more angles of them fins... and the design/performance objectives of them fins please. sweet looking board.

#1762381 - 07/12/11 01:20 PM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: wegosurf]
honkydonky Offline
Grom

Quote:

I was picking up my board and checked out your board on the racks. curious on your feedback and how does it ride? it looked like it would be a fun ride. why gloss coat?

#1762382 - 07/12/11 01:39 PM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: squattyfk]
wegosurf Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Squatty - i'll have to wait till the weekend to get some fin angle shots. If you are really curious, you can check the oak foils blog http://oakfoils.blogspot.com/, where Wayne posted multiple pictures of the board before and after laminating.

Honkeydonkey - the board rides unrealy. For my size I definitely could have gone smaller to get the true feel of how the board should ride, but I wanted to maintain my wave count and ride it on super small days (as a true longboard alternative). I usually just go with sand finsh on most of my board but after talking it over with Wayne, we both felt the board would look better with gloss coat.

For those of you wondering about the fin set up... it still rides loose like a twin fin, but holds in turns and doesn't wash out.

The crazy thing about the fins is that Wayne simply grabbed a piece of cardboard and started drawing the fins out, gave them at quick once over then said "yeah, that should work" and cut them out to get foiled.

And I forgot the name, it's called "The Cosmic Glyder"

#1762383 - 07/13/11 03:35 AM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: wegosurf]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Or it could be re-named the "Look what I found on the internet".
http://community.magicseaweed.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21958
Back in March 2010.
Yeah...I know the surfboard shaping world is full of co-incidences of this kind.
Won't make it as a ground breaking shape but good for a bit of distraction from more hydronamically efficient planshapes.
I'll duck for cover now.

#1762384 - 07/13/11 08:28 AM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: Retropete]
wegosurf Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Quote:

Or it could be re-named the "Look what I found on the internet".
http://community.magicseaweed.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21958
Back in March 2010.
Yeah...I know the surfboard shaping world is full of co-incidences of this kind.
Won't make it as a ground breaking shape but good for a bit of distraction from more hydronamically efficient planshapes.
I'll duck for cover now.

This is actually the 2nd one that Wayne has shaped. The first being sometime around 2009.

http://oakfoils.blogspot.com/search?upda...;max-results=50

http://oakfoils.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-11-06T21%3A05%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=50

The link posted above is from 2010 so that is months after the original Cosmic Glyder was created. So if anything, the guy who posted on Magic Seaweed most likely got the idea from the Cosmic Glyder and not the other way around.
Many years ago Wayne shaped a shrunk down, mid length version of the Tyler Riddler and he called it the Kiddler, and this is a shrunk down verison of that, with bottom channels, scooped out deck and Whale tail.

#1762385 - 07/13/11 12:32 PM Re: New Oak Foils Mini Simmons Inspired Shape [Re: averagejoe]
chrisp510 Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Quote:

that's pretty cool
the outline almost looks like it has that same bump that the tomos do

that was my first thought too...
board looks fun!