REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1603780 - 08/22/10 08:08 PM Crazy world we live in.
frvcvs Offline
Duke status

Had an awesome weekend camping and surfing so-so waves north of oxtura. Sitting in traffic on the way back to LA I got word that a kid I've known my entire life was murdered in a Washington, DC. suburb. I haven't seen him since we graduated high school as we went our separate ways. But we've recently reconnected through Facebook. Yeah I know many think it's a lame invasion of privacy but it's good for some things. Anyway his family was always close with mine, our parent's are friends and they're some of the nicest people I've ever known and in no way deserve to be dealing with such a thing. In the nature of the erBB please send some good vibes to the Godleski family.

RIP Neil

Quote:

Man, 31, found fatally shot in D.C.'s Petworth neighborhood
By Martin Weil
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 23, 2010; B03

A 31-year-old man was found fatally shot early Sunday in the Petworth neighborhood of Northwest Washington, where he lived.

Police said Neil M. Godleski was found shortly after 12:30 a.m. at Sherman Circle.

A neighbor who lives near Godleski's home on Ingraham Street NW said he was a student at Catholic University. She said he also worked at a restaurant near the Southwest waterfront.

The neighbor found him likable and pleasant.

"He speaks to me every time he sees me," she said.

The circumstances of the shooting were unclear. Police gave no information about suspects or motive.

But the neighbor said she was told that Godleski's bicycle had been left at the scene. Sherman Circle was probably on the route Godleski used to bicycle to and from his job, she said.

"He had to be coming from work," the neighbor said.

He used the bicycle to travel to school as well, with his materials in a backpack, the neighbor said.

A woman who lives near the site described the area as quiet and generally free of such incidents.

In 2008, Godleski was returning from work as a bartender early one Sunday when, according to a news account, he spotted the charred remains of a car behind a house in his neighborhood. The car belonged to a D.C. couple who had been slain the day before.

Everything works like clockwork in a perfect world."
- Steak 7/26/15

#1603781 - 08/23/10 09:52 AM Re: Crazy world we live in. [Re: frvcvs]
LAisntsobad Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sucks.

Don't know much about Petworth area but DC's crazy because there are some of the country's highest end areas surrounded closely with no boarders by straight up ghettos. Also easy transit system. It's not like say Beverly Hills where there's that KTown/W.Hollywood/Mid-wil cushion.

#1603782 - 08/23/10 10:08 AM Re: Crazy world we live in. [Re: LAisntsobad]
frvcvs Offline
Duke status

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sucks.

Don't know much about Petworth area but DC's crazy because there are some of the country's highest end areas surrounded closely with no boarders by straight up ghettos. Also easy transit system. It's not like say Beverly Hills where there's that KTown/W.Hollywood/Mid-wil cushion.

I talked to another friend who's familiar with DC and apparently that area can be pretty shady.

Details are slowly emerging that that was the route he'd ride home from work as a bartender each day. Sounds like it was a robbery gone wrong. Although his bike was left next to his body. Not sure if they took his money or anything else. Either that or maybe a senseless gang thing. He had just gotten his sh!t together a few years earlier and was just finishing up a biology degree. Not the kind of person that would be involved with anything that would warrant a targeted attack. He was a burly kid being a wrestler and a rugby player so it wouldn't be shocking if he tried to fight off someone that tried to rob him. Either way it's pretty crazy. You hear about murders all the time but it's always someone else that you don't know so it's kind of hard to associate with it. I can't imagine what his folks are going through. I told my parents last night and they've been friends with his for over 30yrs and have known him since he was a toddler, they were real broken up. It's still kind of not real to me. I've been kinda numb to the whole thing. Still doesn't seem real.
Everything works like clockwork in a perfect world."
- Steak 7/26/15

#1603783 - 08/23/10 10:08 AM Re: Crazy world we live in. [Re: frvcvs]
getpitched Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: INO land
Quote:

Had an awesome weekend camping and surfing so-so waves north of oxtura. Sitting in traffic on the way back to LA I got word that a kid I've known my entire life was murdered in a Washington, DC. suburb. I haven't seen him since we graduated high school as we went our separate ways. But we've recently reconnected through Facebook. Yeah I know many think it's a lame invasion of privacy but it's good for some things. Anyway his family was always close with mine, our parent's are friends and they're some of the nicest people I've ever known and in no way deserve to be dealing with such a thing. In the nature of the erBB please send some good vibes to the Godleski family.

RIP Neil

Quote:

Man, 31, found fatally shot in D.C.'s Petworth neighborhood
By Martin Weil
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 23, 2010; B03

A 31-year-old man was found fatally shot early Sunday in the Petworth neighborhood of Northwest Washington, where he lived.

Police said Neil M. Godleski was found shortly after 12:30 a.m. at Sherman Circle.

A neighbor who lives near Godleski's home on Ingraham Street NW said he was a student at Catholic University. She said he also worked at a restaurant near the Southwest waterfront.

The neighbor found him likable and pleasant.

"He speaks to me every time he sees me," she said.

The circumstances of the shooting were unclear. Police gave no information about suspects or motive.

But the neighbor said she was told that Godleski's bicycle had been left at the scene. Sherman Circle was probably on the route Godleski used to bicycle to and from his job, she said.

"He had to be coming from work," the neighbor said.

He used the bicycle to travel to school as well, with his materials in a backpack, the neighbor said.

A woman who lives near the site described the area as quiet and generally free of such incidents.

In 2008, Godleski was returning from work as a bartender early one Sunday when, according to a news account, he spotted the charred remains of a car behind a house in his neighborhood. The car belonged to a D.C. couple who had been slain the day before.

He was shot????? I thought guns were banned in DC???

I will say a prayer for his family!

#1603784 - 08/23/10 10:19 AM Re: Crazy world we live in. [Re: getpitched]
ratfink Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Texas Gulf de Mexico
Poor baztard.
Clue #1 to getthefuckouttathatneighborhood...
Quote:

#1603785 - 11/15/10 09:36 AM Re: Crazy world we live in. [Re: ratfink]
12rule Offline
Michael Peterson status

Charred Remains is the name of my new speedmetal band.

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32