REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1526734 - 02/14/10 04:47 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: rice]
O.T. Offline
Duke status

Loc: sur
rice, this story so reminds me of our "rescue/tow" mission yesterday.
They had their girlfriends, after seeing their vessel I would have told them
not to leave shore AND we did have a bit of the CG going on with that "just cut the line" order from our Captain when the kids could not untie the granny knot they had half azzed.
Rescue on the high seas, film at eleven!

#1526735 - 02/14/10 05:02 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: GWS]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

Quote:

Epic. The only way it could have been better was if there was some cougar bashing and Skinny Kenny shanked Chris Ward on the dock..

the oscar nomination for best screenplay goes to...

#1526736 - 02/14/10 06:42 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: afoaf]
shackwell Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Wardo in WCT retirement

#1526737 - 02/14/10 06:58 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: shackwell]
greenflash Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: keepin' it real
Wardo got ron mahaloed.

stupid is as stupid does

#1526738 - 02/14/10 07:08 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: GWS]
Noleash Offline
Nep status

Loc: Glorious LA County, CA
Quote:

Epic. The only way it could have been better was if there was some cougar bashing and Skinny Kenny shanked Chris Ward on the dock..

Awesome! Where's Skinny Kenny Nakazawa when you need him?? What could be more local SLO than a mysto outer reef?

#1526739 - 02/14/10 07:12 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: Noleash]
greenflash Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: keepin' it real

http://www.ksby.com/news/coast-guard-boat-flips-during-rescue-in-morro-bay/page/2/

Quote:

Posted: Feb 13, 2010 5:23 PM
Updated: Feb 13, 2010 7:13 PM

Photo Courtesy of: Geri Lanier

Some scary moments in Morro Bay Saturday when large waves caused a Coast Guard boat to flip.

Witnesses say the Coast Guard cutter was towing a skiff boat back to shore when it got stuck in some large wave sets.

The strong waves then flipped the cutter with three of the skiff passengers on board.

"Basically they ran down the face, hit the trough, the bow just started submerging in the trough of the wave and the stern just completely came over the bow," said Ray Savoie, who witnessed the incident. "I mean they did a full forward flip with a half roll."

"We came up, we righted ourselves, and my friends were gone, they were gone," said David Langer, who was a passenger on the skiff boat. "I looked and there they were in the ocean looking up."

No one was hurt but the Coast Guard cutter was damaged in the incident.

The passengers on the skiff boat say they take full responsibility for what happened because they should not have been out on the water, in the skiff boat, in the first place.

Edited by greenflash (02/14/10 07:13 PM)

#1526740 - 02/14/10 07:36 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: greenflash]
skip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Can you say..."Pitch poled" I use to work on a 65 ft racing boat that got pitch poled by a rogue wave near japan(can you imagine being on that boat for THAT!!) ,,the boat was dismasted and the deck was wiped clear of everything. A girl on the boat was severly injured . There was a large settlement. poop happens on the Ocean.

#1526741 - 02/14/10 09:49 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: rice]
OCorNSD4me Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Sunny Florida
This boat belonged to George C Scott. They tried to get through the jetty in the 70's during a big swell. After turning around the boat spent a few months in Morro Bay getting repaired. What is it with celebrities

I seen this pic for sale in some of the tourist shops in MB

Mahalo

PS What happened at Wardos trial in Mammoth

#1526742 - 02/14/10 10:50 PM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: OCorNSD4me]
hoss Offline
Grom

Loc: shark city fl

#1526743 - 02/15/10 03:47 AM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: rice]
BORDEAUX Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

How about the total incompetence of the coast guard,
sounds like they came over the crest, down the wave and
slewed at the bottom. Must be someones fist day on the job.

Whats wrong with following a wave in, its just basic boathandling,
especially if they were in the 47'er.

On a side note, saw some pretty lame boathandling at North Narrabeen
yesterday during the Surf Tag finals,
guy in a tinny trying to get out from the lagoon mouth couldn't time
the sets and got flooded, stalled and washed back in.

#1526744 - 02/15/10 08:04 AM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: rice]
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status

reminds me of this:

"One case involves the passenger
carrying boat, "San Mateo". The San Mateo
was headed out for a whale watching
excursion on February 12, 1983. Numerous
attempts were made by the Morro Bay harbor
patrol to stop the boat from going out that
day due to bad weather conditions. The
boat proceeded anyway and ultimately
capsized in the entrance, throwing 32
persons overboard. Included in that was 24
school children and their adult
supervisors. The boat's captain, found
unconscious, never regained his health
enough to answer any questions relating to
the accident. He died one year later. The
grandparent of one child suffered a heart
attack hours after the incident. He also
never fully recovered and die two years
later."

27 years later and almost the same date

#1526745 - 02/15/10 09:23 AM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: Caelho]
Haiku Offline
Gerry Lopez status

When it gets this big
Better to hit the Hofbrau
for clam strips and beer

#1526746 - 02/15/10 10:00 AM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: Haiku]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
I'm guessing a few of them got a little wet on that one.

Russ Meyer

#1526747 - 02/15/10 10:55 AM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related) [Re: Kento]
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: San Luis Obispo
wtf? 30 or so messages, and not one reference to "Jacuzzi Booty".

you're all fired.

#1526748 - 02/15/10 11:02 AM Re: Drama in Morro Bay (Chris Ward/Coast Guard/Capsize related)
sohaole Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: San Diego
Quote:

After the el rollo did the CG guys ask "where's wardo"?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32