Kahuku, HI - Surf Art Kids Project founder, and Marine Artist, Hilton Alves will donate a mural to the Kahuku Community Center with support from Kahuku Village Association on March 28th. This mural will illustrate the artist’s depiction of historic Kahuku Plantation from the ocean and the marine life found in the waters off Kahuku Beach. Hilton plans on completing the mural in one day and hopes to involve the entire community in the event called “Count Down to Earth Day.”

The event will begin at 8 a.m. with a beach clean up at Kahuku Beach and lead into the live art display of Hilton’s mural and other festivities at the community center till 4 p.m. Keiki will be able to enjoy making art with the artist and create their own renditions of Hilton’s mural or marine life. Throughout the event people will enjoy presentations, food, prizes for beach clean up participants, educational materials, music, art and a shared sense of service and togetherness.

The mural is part of the larger project started by the artist called Surf Art Kids. Surf Art Kids is a social project designed to expose children and youth to environmental awareness and foster in them a respect and love for the ocean and marine life through art. This mural will be Hilton’s 6th on the island and is made possible through partnerships with Kahuku Village Association, Beach Environmental Awareness Campaign Hawai`i (B.E.A.C.H.), Deep Ecology, PADI Project Aware, Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck, and Go Nuts Hawai’i, and The Leading Edge Network. Past murals include one at Waialua Elementary School, two at Sunset Beach Elementary School, and two at Waialua High School. Hilton is working to build similar partnerships on O’ahu to reach more schools and organizations through his project.

Event partners hope that others will join this event in the spirit of community service, environmental awareness and advocacy, and togetherness. Everyone is invited to come to make the difference and to show support for a healthier world. Interested organizations and community members are encouraged to contact organizers to find out how they can be a part of this worthwhile event. A detailed schedule and list of supporters will be posted on www.hiltonsurfart.com.br soon.

For additional information on “Marine Artist Invites Community to “Count Down to Earth Day” event in Kahuku“ or the Surf Art Kids Project visit www.hiltonsurfart.com.br or write Jessica at nrtshrlv@gmail.com.

###END###

Pictures: Credit to Jessica DelaCruz.

ABOUT: Surf Art Kids Project

Who: Marine artist and surfer Hilton Alves is a lover of the sea. This passion leads him to express all the beauty of the aquatic world in drawings, paintings and murals. Self-taught, Hilton began painting professionally seven years ago. Through outreach to youth, Hilton fulfills his drive to give back to the community and spread the word of protection of the world’s most precious resources.

What: Surf Art Kids, created by Hilton Alves, is a social project designed to expose children and youth to environmental awareness and foster in them a respect and love for the ocean through art. The initiative aims to bring marine art into the lives of the youth through social activities. These activities include, but are not limited to, live art exhibitions, community art projects, teaching painting techniques, teaching air brush techniques, drawing techniques, murals in schools, painting in hospitals and in organizations for special needs children and interactive community displays. "The project was developed because I wanted to broaden my horizons as a marine artist. This could spread my gift and put a little art and fun in the life of others ". - reports Hilton Alves.

When: The project began in 2004, in partnership with the city of Guaruja in Sao Paulo, Brazil. With the help of many sponsors, including Hawaiian Dreams, Petrobras, Tamar Project, El Camino Tour, DN Design, and more, Hilton was able to spread the project into over 20 cities and 4 states in Brazil.

How: Surf Art Kids is able to touch the lives of many youth and communities with the help and support of community partners and sponsors.

Why: A difference will be made in the lives of many people through the experiences and art created through Surf Art Kids. A difference will be made in the quest for environmental awareness and protection through the lesson taught and art created through Surf Art Kids.

Goals:

· Create mural art in schools.

· To visit and teach and create art in as many Hawai`i schools as possible.

· Teach techniques of drawing, painting and airbrush to youth.

· Conduct interactive and live art displays in schools and organizations.

· To foster partnerships to make a difference in the lives of youth.

Aloha All,

Mahalo for your support and for helping us spread the word. Please feel free to forward this information and the attached event fliers. We look forward to seeing all of you at this community event and please let me know if you should have any questions!!!

Have a beautiful day!