REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1501734 - 12/19/09 10:39 PM Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs)
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Carlsbad
Low tide late afternoon adventure into a little known piece of OB history. This can only be entered at low tide and the cave entrance faces the late winter sunset. Algae gives it the color.

Block and tackle was used to unload the liquor from small skiffs rowed in around Osprey Reef.

Pitch black finding my way by Flash

North Steps to the "Beach"

City blocked the cove with rocks to prevent further undermining of Sunset Cliffs Blvd.

Osprey Reef

#1501735 - 12/20/09 09:45 AM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: JEwing]
ratfink Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Texas Gulf de Mexico
Wow!

#1501736 - 12/20/09 10:47 AM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: JEwing]
shackwell Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

thanks for sharing JEwing

#1501737 - 12/20/09 12:16 PM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: JEwing]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Thanks for posting that, Jewing.

That is seriously cool and I had no idea that existed. And to think of all the times I paddled out nearby. Surreal.

Russ Meyer

#1501738 - 12/20/09 12:20 PM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: Kento]
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Gig Harbor
that is pretty cool. I've never seen that place either. Thanks for the history lesson!

I've heard the Navy has similar underground facilities inside Point Loma (either @ Dolphin Tanks or on the harbor side) left over from WWII. Anyone heard similar?

#1501739 - 12/20/09 12:34 PM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Carlsbad
Quote:

that is pretty cool. I've never seen that place either. Thanks for the history lesson!

I've heard the Navy has similar underground facilities inside Point Loma (either @ Dolphin Tanks or on the harbor side) left over from WWII. Anyone heard similar?

I posted last week that my cell phone switched to international roaming when I got near the fence to the Sub base. Well there is a HUGE construction project going on there right now. Looks like they are digging acres of ponds deep enough to float a destroyer. I asked my client about the noise and her answer was classic, "the navy is busy". The navy allegedly has to store the nuclear weapons that are loaded on the Subs somewhere and I doubt that it's somewhere in La Jolla.

#1501740 - 12/20/09 06:40 PM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: JEwing]
Waterzedge Offline
Nep status

Thanks Jewster.
I've always wanted to go in there.

#1501741 - 12/21/09 10:34 AM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: JEwing]
PReD Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Ventura, CA
This is awesome, thank you for sharing!!

I love history, its gets lost if someone doesn't keep it fresh.

I went to my uncles wedding a few year ago that was right across the bay from the hotel del, I guess the word was that the house was built by the same guy...

The current owner said that there are bricked up secret passages that go under the bay and connect to the hotel del (or used to) for the same purposes of running rum... I think this is awesome, cool stuff..learning is fun!

#1501742 - 12/24/09 02:20 PM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: PReD]
Steamroller Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: 48U - Green River, WY
oh WOW...i trip out....

so i was showing those cave pics to a friend of mine(older guys)...great shots by the way joe and thanks for posting them...great memories..."i wonder if anybody has seen them that well lit up before in about 80 years or so"...

and my aunty(hanai) says..."oh yeah...thats my grandfathers cave...WHAT?!?!...yeah the tunnel comes out under my old house and my grandfather used to smuggle booze through there...it got walled up many years ago before we sold the house...i doubt the new owners even know its there or where it was..."

#1501743 - 01/04/10 04:32 PM Re: Rum runners Cave (Sunset Cliffs) [Re: JEwing]
cuBe1 Offline
Miki Dora status

Quote:

Low tide late afternoon adventure into a little known piece of OB history. This can only be entered at low tide and the cave entrance faces the late winter sunset. Algae gives it the color.

Block and tackle was used to unload the liquor from small skiffs rowed in around Osprey Reef.

Pitch black finding my way by Flash

North Steps to the "Beach"

City blocked the cove with rocks to prevent further undermining of Sunset Cliffs Blvd.

Osprey Reef

crazy colors on that first one

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32