REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1298670 - 10/19/08 07:51 PM Bamboo fin options
yobro Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Santa Cruz
Just saw Rainbow is making bamboo fins for Lokbox. I was there a while back when they were still refining, but it seems they are available to the public. Here is a link for one quad set...think I'll have to order a set in the near future
http://rainbowfins.bizeconnect.com/?main...box_Bamboo.html

#1298671 - 10/19/08 08:17 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: yobro]
stubster Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Nice looking fins. Doesn't 101 Fin Co. make bamboo fins for Lokbox as well?

#1298672 - 10/19/08 08:22 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: stubster]
yobro Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

yep, guess I should have said another bamboo fin option. only heard great things about 101 fins.

#1298673 - 10/19/08 08:29 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: stubster]
cheesybeefymelt Offline
Grom

Rainbows pale in comparison to the 101 bamboo fins.

They had them at the sacred craft and they are laminated pieces of bamboo, so basically plywood. The are stiff and klunky feeling, and possibly a bit heavier than the 101's. Besides who wants fins foiled by highschool flunkys.

#1298674 - 10/19/08 08:34 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: yobro]
sushipop Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: The Dagobah System
i fondled a set of the rainbows a couple of weeks ago. definitely not as well crafted as marlin's 101's. more resin and less bamboo--more like a bamboo core. made them seem a little heavier.

#1298675 - 10/19/08 08:34 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: cheesybeefymelt]
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: SoCal
Take a close look Marlin's are the S

#1298676 - 10/19/08 08:34 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: cheesybeefymelt]
J_P Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Redondo
Quote:

They had them at the sacred craft and they are laminated pieces of bamboo, so basically plywood.

if you have single pieces of bamboo that are large enough to make an entire fin, i want to see the stalks

#1298677 - 10/19/08 08:43 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: J_P]
EBoogie Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: N. SD
Quote:

if you have single pieces of bamboo that are large enough to make an entire fin, i want to see the stalks

I havent seen them mill down the wood, but I have been to Marlins shop before and they definitely aren't laminated or layed up, its one entire piece of bamboo.

#1298678 - 10/19/08 09:02 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: yobro]
TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS Offline

Tom Curren status

Loc: Pavement, CA USA
The man who put all the blood, sweat, tears and heavy R&D into bamboo removables, Marlin Bacon of 101 Fin Co,

#1298679 - 10/19/08 09:08 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS]
yobro Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

looks like a great display, have been thinking about getting another set of his fins for a while now. how many different options does he have for lokbox?

#1298680 - 10/19/08 09:08 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: EBoogie]
J_P Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Redondo
yes E,

one piece of vertical grain natural bamboo ply.

at least that's what my thruster set appears to be. pretty sure the quad set is the same.

a few years back i searched the entire west coast looking for a deal on bamboo for staircases and i'm pretty sure the only way we get bamboo is straight off the boat from china in plywood form. you can get tread stock at 12" x 1" x 8', but it's very similar to a ply except that instead of a mish mash core, the pieces extend the full inch through the tread. the 3/4" ply material is an 1/8"ish facade with the mish mash glued up in the middle. 1/4" ply is available in the same type construction as the tread stock generally. i'm assuming that's what marlin uses.

at least that's all you could get in terms of bamboo stair tread stock and riser materials when i searched....

marlin's stuff looks like it's 1/4" or maybe a bit thicker vert grain natural bamboo ply. i may be wrong, but judging from my fins and my experience with the material that's my guess.

aside: anyone dealing with nikzad for their bamboo in socal is nuts, btw. there are some guys up in the pacific northwest that charge about half!

edit: from the above photo, it appears he uses horizontal grain as well. interesting.

yobro - call him up and talk to him. he'll make you whatever you want and have it to you in a 2-4weeks ish. he takes paypal too! very nice guy and very nice fins from my experience. another example of 'u get what u pay for!'

#1298681 - 10/19/08 09:12 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: yobro]
Dudebro Offline
Nep status

Loc: Oceanside
Here is my two cents on the bamboo fins from RFC and 101 Fins.

RFC bamboo fins uses the bamboo as filler to make the fin lighter and more attractive just like a procore fin. The bamboo is not used to make the flex pattern different so it will perform the same as a glass fin.

101 FIns uses the bamboo as the main material and it therefore has a diffferent flex pattern to it. A little more spring comes out of the fins when turning when compared to glass fins. They also are lighter and float which has saved me once in the past. The bamboo fins from RFC do not.

Both companies put out good fins but they are not the same. I prefer the 101 Fins bamboo fins because they seem to perform better for me. As to which one you choose it is up to you but hopefully this small review will help.

#1298682 - 10/19/08 09:15 PM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: yobro]
EBoogie Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: N. SD
Quote:

looks like a great display, have been thinking about getting another set of his fins for a while now. how many different options does he have for lokbox?

You can get any template that you want, even a custom one that you draw up if your heart so desires. Just draw your template, cut it out and take it to him.

#1298683 - 10/20/08 03:46 AM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: EBoogie]
germansurf Offline
Grom

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
I dreamt about bamboo fins tonight...

#1298684 - 10/20/08 04:30 AM Re: Bamboo fin options [Re: yobro]
rdj Offline
Nep status

Loc: Monmouth Co., NJ
101 fins all the way! Nothing else touches them in terms of quality of materials and foil. Not to mention Marlin is a stand up guy and equally as good at shaping foam as foiling fins. You don't have to believe me... listen to Taylor Knox
http://www.surfysurfy.net/2008/07/1970.html
He scored a 19.70 at J-bay on 101 fins.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >