REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1415599 - 06/03/09 03:53 PM How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate?
shackwell Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Anyone know how & when this word/term was originated? It's flat and I aint got no cougars...bear with me on this one..

#1415600 - 06/03/09 04:35 PM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: shackwell]
rocklobster Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Newport, CA
No sure, but it morphed at some point 'cause it was "gremmie" or "grem" in the '60's

#1415601 - 06/03/09 04:51 PM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: rocklobster]
Guardrail Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: tuckerton, NJ
and didn't gremmie come from gremlin? Definition for that (in its earliest form):
192530; of obscure orig; in its earliest attested use, an RAF term for a low-ranking officer or enlisted man assigned the most onerous duties
Sounds pretty spot on to me.

#1415602 - 06/03/09 04:56 PM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: rocklobster]
shackwell Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Quote:

it morphed at some point 'cause it was "gremmie" or "grem" in the '60's

good point. I think grOm instead of grEm was an Aussie thing?

#1415604 - 06/03/09 06:12 PM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: ]
pranaglider Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I believe that "grommet" is Australian slang.

#1415605 - 06/03/09 06:29 PM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: pranaglider]
Big_Wave_Dave Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: in the bag
Quote:

hey man don't u have a blog to post and spam?

otf -out

#1415607 - 06/03/09 07:49 PM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: pranaglider]
surf cat Online   content
Kelly Slater status

Quote:

There is a reason I never use the term ~ years ago Surfing mag taught us it means immature female genitalia

#1415608 - 06/03/09 07:50 PM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: ]
JJR Offline
Duke status

Loc: Cyclist hell
I prefer the term "little rat bastards".

#1415609 - 06/04/09 11:49 AM Re: How did the term GROM/GROMMET originate? [Re: JJR]
loner Offline
Grom

Loc: North County
The term grommet was invented by Lyndon "the artful dodger" Johnson in 1968, just after the Tet offensive. While kicking back in San Clemente at the future Nixon estate, he came upon a pair of blue OP shorts on the beach, (where they came from remains a mystery though there was a CIA theory that they may have been Mike Purpus's). The President marveled at the fine workmanship of the shorts and asked a grunt what the tiny little metal circle was at the bottom of the back pocket. The grunt, who was a San Clemente surfer (he chose the marines over prison), said, "Mr. President, that is called a grommet, it allows water to run out of the pocket so your shorts don't fall down." His reply was, "ingenious" and the grunt, who went on to open a successful head shop in Ocean Beach, took the term and applied it to the little surfer kids who'd come and try to buy rolling papers.
.................................................................To paddle quietly is the eternal now: Zen and the Art of Surfing

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32