REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1199280 - 05/05/08 03:57 AM AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread
hackeysaky Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: NJ
OK, let's get it started.

Drove down with rdj with a SUV-full of boards with his absolutely SICK artwork on them.

Set-up right next to Jon, the guy who organized the whole event. Another great guy who brought some nice his self-shaped boards.

Met up with Guardrail early AM. Surfed the higher tide with a relatively low crowd.

Decent waves- punchy waist to shoulder high E groundswell/SE windswell combo and offshore winds.

Later met up with dexter and Surfer57 (Kyle).

Met and surfed with JJR, DK, and Ian Zamora. F*(kin' coolest cats I've met in a long time. Surfed more crowded conditions with them, so it was a little hard to maintain conversation, but there was plenty of quick chats and laughs about this and that all around.

Jimmy was a freakin rocket on his DK fishy shortboard (or is it a shortboardy fish?). Really enjoyed talking shop with DK and Ian. Saw Ian destroy a suck-out-style wave off the jetty. I love it when you cannot definitively state if someone is a better shaper or surfer.

I definitely foresee ordering a board from Ian in the future (his thinned-out high-performance quad fish board is right up my alley), and definitely want to get myself a DK sometime shortly after that (gotta get the $cratch together, otherwise I'd be putting in these orders right now).

And Ambrose... man, loved talking to him, I feel like we touched on every topic under the sun. Crap, I need to find the $ to order one of his boards too. Sick, sick, sick designs.

Met up with old-school poster Moonie and checked out his various surfboards, kneeboards, and flex spoons.

Saw some beautiful hollow-wooden boards built by don'task (swaylocks poster). Loved hearing about the blood, sweat, tears, and smiles that go into their construction.

I had to leave shortly after noon for my daughter's birthday party, but I felt like I crammed a lot into the short time I was there. I really wished I could have hung longer to surf, talk shop, and done some grub and beers with anyone who headed out.

Some early-arrival pics are posted at http://www.anythingbut3east.blogspot.com/

rdj's girl took a ton of pics, so those will be up in the next day or so.

#1199281 - 05/05/08 04:24 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: hackeysaky]
dknj Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Very cool and wish I was there. Being short on time, I was not able to make the drive over , so caught a short, lowtide sand spraying session that was close to home instead.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and hopefully some remnant boards posted up in the classifieds soon.

#1199282 - 05/05/08 04:56 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: hackeysaky]
rdj Offline
Nep status

Loc: Monmouth Co., NJ
Absolutely good times! So many sick boards. And great meeting all those guys. I'll have those pics my gf took up online tonight.

Sak and I woke up at the crack of dawn, loaded up the Cherokee and headed down to Harvey Cedars to find that the Jersey AB3 got blessed with light offshores and fun sized clean peaky waves. In the morning it was cloudy and foggy. It was really questionable what the weather was gonna be like, but in the end we couldn't have asked for a better day. By late morning the clouds passed and it was sunny and warm. The wind came onshore to make things choppy in the afternoon. Around the same time some groundswell started filling in with the morning windswell keeping it somewhat fun, but not nearly as good as the morning. I shoulda got in the water when Sak did cause he got the best of it, punting airs on the clean fun peaky slopes.

My favorite board of the day was the Zamora fish with the funky squared off swallow tail. I took this board out in the afternoon choppy groundswell. That thing had speed and hold like I couldn't believe. I'm probably a below average surfer but the way this board held on, but still at the same time felt loose enough to snap, made me feel like a better surfer. Definitely dig it. Also, was really impressed with DJ's new performance fish. Really looked like a sweet ride. Brian Wynn also had two sick bonzers, a bunch of crazy resin swirls and and fish with him. I took out a single fin with an insane resin swirl on it. It was the wrong conditions for the board in the afternoon, but felt like it would be super stylin' in the right surf.

I was a bit disappointed that the Griffin boards and the Mollusk shapers didn't make it to Jersey. They missed out on much better surf conditions and a bigger crowd of potential customers.

At the end of the day Marlin asked me about restaurants in the area because the west coast guys wanted some seafood at a good local spot. So, my gf and I took Ambrose, DJ, Marlin, Ian, the Resin X guys, and the guy who organized the AB3 East (Jon) down to Beach Haven for some eats and got to listen to them talk shop. Great guys and a lot of fun. We were all sunburnt and crispy because the sun had crept up on us out of the clouds. Being a chemist I got to talk to the Resin X guy about his product and it really sounds good. I might have to request it on my next board from Wynn. Despite their reluctance we forced Ian and my gf to try Buffalo Calamari. It didn't sound right, but tasted pretty damn good. Ambrose gave me some tips on how to chop up my Sportster. Can't wait to see the paint job JP does on his bike. Marlin hooked me up with an incredible 101 fins bamboo prototype Bonzer fin to try out. It looks absolutely sick and and I can't wait to get in my new MC bonzer. Thanks!

Afterwards they wanted to check out a certain popular surf spot on the south end of the island. It was the wrong swell direction for that spot so they decided to head north and get some in the evening glass off. They were planning on hitting it again this morning so I hope those left coasters got it good again in Jersey.

I can't wait to shape the Ice 9 blank I won and I saw plenty inspiration. The event was an all around success. I saw a lot of guys trying out boards and really getting to look at some new shapes. Great vibe. Hope we can do it again next year!

#1199283 - 05/05/08 06:59 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: rdj]
hackeysaky Offline
Miki Dora status

Good to hear the Zamora went as good as it looked (Ian proved it already, but it is good to have the corrobrating evidence).

Unfortunately, the event was only a visual feeding frenzy for me since I never got to try any other boards because I was so strapped for time and I was really feeling my new Coil quadvertible I was riding. Would have probably ridden my Spindrift fish in the AM with the fatter tide, but I forgot to bring the lokbox screw-tabs for it!

And rdj, lets be fair- I may have attempted a number of airs, but I only landed a very small fraction of them, and only if "credit card" airs count!

Oh yea, there is an article in the Asbury Park Press with pics of Wynn and rdj showing off their artwork. I'll try to find it online and/or scan it in later tonight.

#1199284 - 05/05/08 07:31 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: hackeysaky]
Oceanslide Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Sounds like a GREAT time...stoked for you guys.
MORE PICS!!!

#1199285 - 05/05/08 08:36 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: Oceanslide]
TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS Offline

Tom Curren status

Loc: Pavement, CA USA
I second that emoicon.

#1199286 - 05/05/08 09:24 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS]
surfer57 Offline
Michael Peterson status

I'll just be repeating what Sak and Rdj said, it was great to surf with everyone, we all spent more time in the water together than on the beach, a bunch of guys from my guard squad were out too and at one point it seemed like it was just select Er'bber's and my buddys taking over an entire peak, heres some pics my friend ryan took with my camera,
We're going to play guess that Er'bber with these pics, I'll give you the options, you match the person. Haha
The Obligatory board shot

Those California Kooks arrived

Er'bb #1

Er'bb #2

Er'bb #3

Er'bb #4

Er'bb #5

Unknown just to show quality of surf

Your choices for er'bbers are DK, JJR, hackeysak, PSiAWD(Ian), surfer57 (me), and bonus points because Guardrail is one of them too. Haha good luck, if you guess them all right, you get nothing. Great time yesterday and hope we can do it again next year definitely.
Peace,
Kyle

#1199287 - 05/05/08 09:56 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: surfer57]
hackeysaky Offline
Miki Dora status

Nice- I'll add in that we have a " Moonie " sighting in one of the photos too.

#1199288 - 05/05/08 10:02 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: hackeysaky]
LESider Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: LowerEastSide NYC
man i would have punched my mom in the face for waves like that on Saturday!

#1199289 - 05/05/08 10:28 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: LESider]
jbd Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: JAX BCH FLA.
O.k.

who's that carrying the Alaia?? (Wegners style finless board?)
I'm thinking of building one. DK...is that you in that shot?
I would LOVE to get some rough specs.

d

#1199290 - 05/05/08 10:45 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: jbd]
LESider Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: LowerEastSide NYC
I think it is DK can't really tell without the hat on. That is one of the boards Ian brought with him so he might be able to help you.

#1199291 - 05/05/08 10:48 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread *DELETED* [Re: LESider]
goldenarmes Offline
Michael Peterson status

Post deleted by goldenarmes

#1199292 - 05/05/08 10:49 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: hackeysaky]
SurfZombie Offline
Tom Curren status

Looks like you guys were stoked and had a good time

Aloha

Bryan

#1199293 - 05/05/08 10:50 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: goldenarmes]
goldenarmes Offline
Michael Peterson status

whoops...thats DK

#1199294 - 05/05/08 11:57 AM Re: AB3 East (NJ) post-event thread [Re: LESider]
jbd Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: JAX BCH FLA.
Quote:

That is one of the boards Ian brought with him so he might be able to help you.

Any rough dims would be very helpful as well as a recommendation on a lesser expensive wood that would work till I get the template right. Any thougts Ian? (I assume he's a BBer??
How's that thing in beachbreak shoredump?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >