REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1181317 - 03/29/08 07:05 PM Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler)
stubster Offline
Gerry Lopez status

I picked up a couple of custom boards from Wayne at Oak Foils last week. Now that I finally have time to post some photos, here it is. This one is the Kiddler. Why is it named the Kiddler? Well, I'm not a longboarder, but there are days when the waves are gutless and fishes just don't have enough juice to catch waves. The days when only longboarders are catching waves. Most people probably have experienced those days.

I've always liked the way the Jacobs 442 and the Tyler Riddler noserider boards looked with the step deck and the wings just below the middle of the board. Tyler made his look more unique with the squared nose. I asked Wayne to design me a shortboard that would have the outline/look of a longboard and something that would give me the paddling ability of a longboard; a wave catching machine, and the performance of a shortboard for better waves, and I also threw in that I wanted to be able to noseride this shortboard. I wanted this board to be a mystical, mutant looking board that can do stuff I've always wanted to try without ever having to consider trying a longboard. He basically told me you can't have a board that can do all of that without sacrificing either performance or paddleability. After many months of designing a shape and calculating some real dimensions, Wayne finally told me he can make me a board with the shape I wanted and the wave catching ability of a longboard and still have performance for bigger/better waves, and also, I would be able to noseride it.

The Tyler 'Riddler' comes in 9'6 - 10'. This bad boy, mini noseriding, wave catching, performance machine is only 6'8 (although it looks much bigger in the pictures), so hence the name, 'The Kiddler'. There is so much volume even with a step-deck (nose and tail) and a pronounced teardrop nose concave for long noserides. I picked some fabric patterns I wanted inlaid on the deck and bottom. It was finshed off with some clean pinlines with gloss and polish finish. I'll probably ride it as a single fin most of the time just to cruise and learn how to noseride, but I'll take it out occasionally on better wave days and ride it as a 2+1 and see if I can pop some floaters and throw some spray.

Thanks Wayne!

#1181318 - 03/29/08 07:08 PM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: stubster]
goldenarmes Offline
Michael Peterson status

whoa man....that thing is wild!

#1181319 - 03/30/08 07:03 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: goldenarmes]
Bakala Offline
Grom

Loc: None of your business
Beauty of an inlay. I know I'd stare at that trippy pattern and get caught inside for sure.

#1181320 - 03/30/08 08:03 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: stubster]
Lankameese Offline
Billy Hamilton status

wow, what a story, Wayne really delivered and he was obviously committed to your ideas. I have had the same ideas, smaller board, nose ridable... that board is just amazing, please give a review when you've gotten out enough, would really like to hear the ride report on it.. btw, your other customs are beautiful, 80's style takes me back for sure

#1181321 - 03/30/08 09:13 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: stubster]
Big Brother Offline
Nep status

is it that "the kiddler" daddy, "I want the bells and whistles." model?

I saw your board at the factory that is a pretty cool shape. wayne mentioned it took awhile to design and shape the board. that is a sweet board. congrats.

he mentioned that he has great respect for tyler. so much so I think he shaped him one as a gift. possible collaboration of design by two of post modern shapers? one from the old skool and another from the new skool? you didn't hear that from me.

#1181322 - 03/31/08 09:44 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: Lankameese]
stubster Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Quote:

wow, what a story, Wayne really delivered and he was obviously committed to your ideas. I have had the same ideas, smaller board, nose ridable... that board is just amazing, please give a review when you've gotten out enough, would really like to hear the ride report on it.. btw, your other customs are beautiful, 80's style takes me back for sure

Wayne will not shape a board for money unless he knows it will work. He won't just start shaping something and wing it here and there just to create a board to satisfy your request. He will tell you point blank if something will not work or if you're wasting your money on something that will not be feasible for you. Not too many shapers will do that these days.

I was planning on taking this board for a test drive this week, but the weather has been pretty crappy (windy, possibility of rain later this week). As soon as I'm able to get it in the water, I'll post a review. I'm very anxious and excited.

#1181323 - 03/31/08 11:34 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: stubster]
Clamhead Offline
Nep status

Loc: West Indian Ocean
That looks like fun.

I would be very curious to know if Wayne prescribed what fins to use in a 2+1 setup. The reason I ask is that from my experience with 2+1's that middle fin is fairly far forward in relation to the sidebites. I am guessing that he is thinking about a bigger middle fin, say 7" or more, with small sidebites. In any case, I would appreciate the input. I have one board that has similar fin positions.

#1181324 - 03/31/08 11:46 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: Clamhead]
stubster Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Quote:

That looks like fun.

I would be very curious to know if Wayne prescribed what fins to use in a 2+1 setup. The reason I ask is that from my experience with 2+1's that middle fin is fairly far forward in relation to the sidebites. I am guessing that he is thinking about a bigger middle fin, say 7" or more, with small sidebites. In any case, I would appreciate the input. I have one board that has similar fin positions.

The current 2+1 configuration I will be trying will be Futures sb1 with a Hobie Classic 8.5" fin.

#1181325 - 03/31/08 12:04 PM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: stubster]
Clamhead Offline
Nep status

Loc: West Indian Ocean
Interesting. Please do post a review.

#1181326 - 03/31/08 01:30 PM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: stubster]
oakfoils Offline
Nep status

Stubster, those are some nice photos of the board. You always make the boards look great. Yeah, I decided to name the board The Kiddler the younger generation of Tylers Riddler model. I was finally inspired to shape that board after the birth of Tyler and Katherine new baby girl Evelyn. Instead of naming the board a Mini-Riddler I thought the Kiddler would be more appropriate.

That board was shaped from a Blair Foam blank, it is the only blank that was available in poly to be able to net that type of volume and still have clean-up everywhere. The board was glassed at Steve Mangiaglis factory, great guys that have been around since virtually the beginning of modern surfboard mfg. They always make the boards look great. The shape is just a small part of the whole process.

I have much respect for what Tyler has done, to bring the whole aspect of hand built quality and workmanship to the consciousness to the average surfer. In this day and age of label renting on the backs of older brands and reestablishing them from the past is somewhat sad IMHO. Re hashing old boards and designs are done, theres a reason why weve moved beyond them. Establishing your own name and standing on your own label is quite tough in this day and age of haters trying to take stabs at you and your label. Most of the older popular rehashed labels and boards are a direct benefit to Tylers hard work and dedication to fine craftsmanship. You have to ask whats behind a label? Wheres/ Whats the substance behind the label? Is the label truly retro in its roots or just a rehashed rental that has seen better days in its old glory? To me its somewhat sacrilege.

For those that dont know what they are looking at when eyeing a Tyler shape and design is firstly all of them are extremely progressive shapes. There was a window of fast progression in the traditional longboard design from 64-67. Then the short board influence started. The traditional long board mfg came to a sad end. All the old labels died by the way-side, labels that tried to stay in the game eventually closed up shop as things were progressing much faster than most could keep up. Tylers shapes are like if the traditional type shapes were to have continued to the present day. His boards have soo many hand massaged tweaks and bends in certain areas that are not easily seen by eye.

Tyler is a like a throw back of when men designed, developed, and piloted their own machines, he reminds me of someone in the vein of Carrol Shelby of the great Cobra and Le Mans winning GT40. Very resourceful and conscientious takes an idea of how to improve a design and tweak it then the best part he takes them out and test rides them himself. Talk is cheap, Tylers actions speak for themselves. For those that have seen him ride his own designs know what I speak of.

As far as a collaborative shape well see. Tyler still needs to take the Kiddler out and see if it needs some tweaking. As of now its still in its design stage.

Blah, blah, blah,. Gotta, get back to work. Sorry for the long ear.

#1181327 - 03/31/08 07:20 PM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: oakfoils]
freddybeaum Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Wow that board is bitchin, but man, you deserve every one of those stars, and that comment about how you don't just take the money and wing it--classy board, guy, and this thread is primo

#1181328 - 04/20/08 02:26 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model * * Review * * [Re: Lankameese]
stubster Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Quote:

So I've taken this board out a handful of times in various conditions. Words to describe this board would be Stoked, Magical, Mystical, Effortless!

My daily driver is either a 6'0 POD-shape quad or 6'2" thruster (Oak Foils, of course). This board doesn't feel much bigger than those boards in the water in terms of length, but the paddleability and stability of this board makes surfing feel so effortless. Just a couple of paddles or less and I'm on. Even late takeoffs feel so stable and enough rocker to prevent doing faceplants.

The first wave (8" Hobie Classic Single Fin), the board got on the wave early and I was every amazed at how stable the board is with much more drive than I had expected. Just cruised in the pocket with an S-turn towards the end to get a feel for the board. Second wave, first attempt at noseriding, when I say 'first attempt', I mean I've never, ever tried to noseride a board since I've never ridden a longboard (grew up only riding shortboards). I was able to get the first foot on the nose, but as soon as I put both feet on the nose, I pearled. Third wave, another noseride attempt, did a cheater 5 and cruised. Stoked! Never did that before in my lifetime. Caught a few more waves after that with mixed noseriding attempts.

Next surf session. Caught some waves and attempted to noseride again. Close stance cheater 5s with no problems. Can't hang ten due to the shortness of the length and possibly need a wider based fin. Caught lots of waves and practiced trying to learn the noseriding technique.

Another session, 2+1 fin configuration (SB1 sidebites and 6.5" Harbour Banana fin). The board didn't turn as well as the 8" Hobie fin and it pearled much more trying to noseride. Conclusion, the Harbour fin didn't perform as I expected it to. I did get some noserides, but had to lean further back to keep the tail of the board down. Although, I caught tons of waves, I felt guilty.

Another session, 2+1 setup (SB1 sidebites and 6" Walden Classic fin). The waves had a little more juice. Did more performance surfing. The board had tons of drive and was making some hard bottom turns. Late takeoffs were easy and very stable. Did some cheater 5 noserides on the reforms. The board performed great all-around with this fin setup.

I had a few more sessions with this same 2+1 setup. Caught waves effortlessly. Lots of long, fast rides as well as long cheater 5 noserides. I ordered an 8.5" 'The Slick' noseriding fin from True Ames, should receive it on Monday. I'll give that a try to see if I can improve my noseriding skills on this short board. Noseriding is definitely a technique that needs to be learned and refined.

I thought this board would be very difficult to duck dive due to the massive amounts of hidden volume, but it actually dives better than my daily drivers. Very mystical. There were a few HH+ cleanup sets that rolled through, but this board brought me down and popped me back up without getting me pitched all over under the whitewash. I was very amazed.

All I can say is that this board almost feels surreal. It paddles and catches waves with very little effort. It has much more drive than I was expecting. It turns like my performance shortboards. It lets me noseride and it feels like it's lifting me up out of the water (weird feeling), and it duck dives unlike any other board I own. This is one very mystical, magical board. I almost don't want to ride my other boards since this makes everything so effortless and fun. I'm catching waves at a ratio of 3:1 compared to my friend. When I ride my daily driver, we're 1:1. I'm catching 15 waves to every 5 he gets on. It makes me feel guilty.

If I could only have one board out of my entire quiver of waveskates, fishes, bonzers, ultra high performance shortboards, etc... this would be it. It does everything all of the boards in my entire quiver can do, but this one can be ridden in ankle slappers to OH+ and it can do it effortlessly. Lots of fun = Stoked for days!

Comparision: I purchased a used 6'10" single fin Harbour Spherical Revolver since I hear so many people who rave about these boards. I figure I'll ride the Revolver and get used to a single fin board until my experimental Oak Foils (Kiddler) is completed. I rode the Revolver and loved it! It was stable, had lots of drive, turned well (single fin style). It was a great board. Now that I've ridden a great board, I would be more than content if the Revolver was my only board for this style of surfing. Now after riding my Oak, which is 2" shorter, but packs more volume, paddles much easier and doesn't feel like a big board at all, whereas the Revolver felt like it was a bigger board than it was. The amount of drive is about the same. The Revolver is a mutha to try to duck dive. I was literally at the nose trying to shove it under the wave only to keep getting pushed back by the whitewash. The Oak is much more stable and the ride has more of a glide. If you didn't have something to compare a great board against, then it would be a no brainer. After comparing the two, I don't ever want to ride the Revolver again.

Same thing with my shortboards. My quiver used to consist of CIs, Lost, Rusty, HIC (Arakawa), etc.. I felt all of these boards were magic boards. There was nothing else to compare these boards to. I rode my first Oak and thought 'No Fk'n way'. Then I rode my second Oak and knew these were 'Magical creations'. The rest is history. Entire quiver - OAK FOILS - with the exception of some novelty and old classic boards.

#1181329 - 04/20/08 08:06 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model (Kiddler) [Re: stubster]
?????????????? Offline
Grom

Jacobs 422 inspired or is that the Klingon Disrupter Rail?

#1181330 - 04/20/08 10:47 AM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model * * Review * * [Re: stubster]
Dawn_patrol Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: HB
Nice review...that thing sounds like a multi-purpose fun machine! Stoked are you.

#1181331 - 04/20/08 01:48 PM Re: Oak Foils - New Experimental Model * * Review * * [Re: stubster]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Have you ridden longboards much? Only because if you haven't ridden longboards it would insightful for you to actually try surfing a few and then let us know what you think.
After only riding shortboards you can only imagine what 9'+ of surfboard feels like.
I'm not trying to be negative simply want to hear what you think after riding some longboards and then comparing the characteristics of the different boards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >