REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1058497 - 06/30/07 10:10 PM So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today...
Bowflex_Rock_Star Offline
Grom

I never buy it, but the In-laws are comming into town and they actually like the cheap stuff. What better time to test?

METHODOLOGY:

Purchased 2 liter plastic Popov vodka new at an a gov't run alcoholic beverage store.

dumped out the water in my Breita and used the existing filter which was about halfway through it's life cycle.

poured a shot of Popov as a "control" then poured the bottle into the Brita and waited. When it had completely passed through, I funneled the vodka back into the bottle and repeated the process. I then tase tested and repeated the process again, for a total of 3 passes.

RESULTS AND OBSERVATIONS:

The Control tasted just like I remembered - very "grainy", and slippery on the palette, with a smell exactly like rubbing alcohol.

After 2 passes through the Brita, it still tasted like Popov, although it was smoother and had lost it's funky aftertaste.

3 trips in, there was a significant difference. The rubbing alcohol smell was gone, the taste was much cleaner, akin to a name brand vodka. The closest I can compare it with now is Seagram's.

It mixes well with tonic, standing on it's own instead of the usual "corn syrup" taste cheap vodka has.

The buzz is fairly clean yet numbing, as a vodka buzz should be. There is none of the headache and nausea associated with a cheap vodka buzz.

The filtering process was slow and a pain in the ass as the vodka did not completely fit in the Brita, so it had to be done in batches. It took about 10 min for the vodka to completely pass through each time.

CONCLUSION:

I severely doubt that I will get a Grey Goose or even a Absolut out of this method - there is such a thing as "polishing a turd".

I will say that you can get an eminently drinkable vodka for much less than the name brands. I thing 5-6 passes would yield an excellent vodka that would rival any in the $20-30 price range, and will probably fool 99% of your Yuppie dipshit friends.

Now that I know the secret, I may buy a Brita just for this purpose. I'd also like to try the same thing with cheap whiskey and scotch.

#1058498 - 06/30/07 10:17 PM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: Bowflex_Rock_Star]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
myth....errr. err..err.. ....busted

#1058499 - 07/01/07 03:48 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: stu dog]
Frank Booth Offline
Miki Dora status

Quote:

I'd like to give her a taste test!!!

#1058500 - 07/01/07 03:54 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: Bowflex_Rock_Star]
Frank Booth Offline
Miki Dora status

Quote:

I severely doubt that I will get a Grey Goose or even a Absolut out of this method - there is such a thing as "polishing a turd".

There was a piece on TV recently, about vodka "snobs". They ran a blind test to see if these people could tell the difference. Grey Goose got a thumbs down from most of them. They were mainly a bunch of New York yuppies who seemed more concerned with their image. Thus, they felt compelled to order expensive stuff, based on the misconception that the higher the price, the better the product.

#1058501 - 07/01/07 04:23 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: Frank Booth]
greentea Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: S.F.
after one of those shitty days kettle one straight up slightly dirty does it for me.

#1058502 - 07/01/07 06:38 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: greentea]
Doug93003 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Ventura
Mythbusters did a show on that as well.

They used some premium vodkas and some cheap stuff charcoal filtered 10 times.

The expert picked all the vodkas correctly but also complimented the 10 time filtered cheap stuff as being good.

#1058503 - 07/01/07 07:09 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: Doug93003]
Frank Booth Offline
Miki Dora status

Quote:

This one was done by one of the network news organizations. They didn't use any filtering. They just had a bunch of snobby yuppies do a blind test. It proved they couldn't tell which one was their typical choice. It also proved they bought their drinks for snob appeal, not true taste.

#1058504 - 07/01/07 07:50 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: Frank Booth]
_Wax Offline
Grom

Loc: the swamp

#1058505 - 07/01/07 08:20 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: _Wax]
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status

Loc: SOCAL
RUM YE BASTARDS RUM!

#1058506 - 07/01/07 10:56 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: 20W-50 and blood]
jolly Offline
Nep status

mmmmmm i love popov!

#1058507 - 07/01/07 11:00 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: jolly]
goldenarmes Offline
Michael Peterson status

$29 and i'll put it up against grey goose or any other "name brand" vodka any day of the week, barring Cirac (that stuff is insane)

#1058508 - 07/01/07 11:20 AM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: Frank Booth]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: Somewhere else
Quote:

Quote:

This one was done by one of the network news organizations. They didn't use any filtering. They just had a bunch of snobby yuppies do a blind test. It proved they couldn't tell which one was their typical choice. It also proved they bought their drinks for snob appeal, not true taste.

I saw that. If I remember right, the vodka snobs were horrified to find out they had all picked Smirnoff.

#1058509 - 07/01/07 12:53 PM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: goldenarmes]
Raga_man858 Offline
Grom

Loc: San Diego
Trader Joe's: Moskasvaya (sp?). Only 7.99 for one liter and you can drink it straight...hmmm bottle looks remarkably similar to Stoli except green and white label instead of red and white... TJ's employee vodka of choice

#1058510 - 07/01/07 12:56 PM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: Raga_man858]
_Wax Offline
Grom

Loc: the swamp
Quote:

Trader Joe's: Moskasvaya (sp?). Only 7.99 for one liter and you can drink it straight...hmmm bottle looks remarkably similar to Stoli except green and white label instead of red and white... TJ's employee vodka of choice

#1058511 - 07/01/07 01:07 PM Re: So, I filtered Popov vodka through a Brita today... [Re: _Wax]
diro Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: The A-T-L
stoli isn't bad stuff for the price ($19?). not worth my time and hassle to use a Brita. while you are in the middle of your '3rd filtering', i'd be on my 3rd vodka martini! you do the math!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32